Pondy Literati for Ms. Vic

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, looking at the shore pine in the left photo, specifically, at the current needles, is it safe to assume that it was collected in the last few years, and is putting out significantly longer candles in cultivation than in the wild?

No, Brian, I collected it last fall. Given the number of years represented even by the short segment of needled branch, there are at least a few years' growth there, and only the very last needles are from this year. My observation - the needle size doesn't change much in this sub-species once in cultivation, at least the among the ones where this was found, even though the conditions are extremely hostile and result in extremely slow and stunted growth otherwise. You'd think there would be a pronounced difference, but there is not. I can't explain why.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, Brian, I collected it last fall. Given the number of years represented even by the short segment of needled branch, there are at least a few years' growth there, and only the very last needles are from this year. My observation - the needle size doesn't change much in this sub-species once in cultivation, at least the among the ones where this was found, even though the conditions are extremely hostile and result in extremely slow and stunted growth otherwise. You'd think there would be a pronounced difference, but there is not. I can't explain why.

That's interesting about the shore pine. I have a few ponderosas that were collected in the last year or two, and the old needles are in the 1.5"-2" range. The new needles this year are in the 6-8" range (after repotting and lots of fertilization to get the trees strong).

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's interesting about the shore pine. I have a few ponderosas that were collected in the last year or two, and the old needles are in the 1.5"-2" range. The new needles this year are in the 6-8" range (after repotting and lots of fertilization to get the trees strong).

It is interesting. These highly stunted Shore pines come from only one location, and much of the stunting is thought to be due to the highly hostile soil at that particular location. When collected, as much of the root ball is collected with them as is practical, along with the attached "toxic" soil. I believe the ones collected the longest ago by Dan Robinson have been in captivity now for only about six years or so, IIRC, and he doesn't remove the soil typically. One that I got from him a few years back was from one of his early collecting trips to that place, so also about six years in captivity, I think. Like him, I also did not remove much soil when I potted it up two years ago. He pots his into a 50/50 mix, while I use pure inorganics. We have some minor differences in our fertilizing, watering and placement regimens, but they are not drastically different. And yet, the foliage on the newly collected trees, and both his and my potted trees all look the same length and with the same unusually brilliant and deep green color (maybe very slightly more yellow in the wild). Perhaps the remaining "toxic" soil continues to exert an influence on the needle length even though they have put out new roots into the better soils now. But arguing against that is the fact that other Shore pines, and their brothers the Lodgepole and the Murayana, also have short needles that don't seem to change much with "better" treatment in captivity, although the regular Shore pines and the Lodgepoles have slightly longer needles to begin with. Interesting, I agree.

I think we all have the same experience you do with Ponderosas, although I believe Walter Pall has written someplace about methods to shorten their needles almost to JBP standards in captivity.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is interesting. These highly stunted Shore pines come from only one location, and much of the stunting is thought to be due to the highly hostile soil at that particular location. When collected, as much of the root ball is collected with them as is practical, along with the attached "toxic" soil. I believe the ones collected the longest ago by Dan Robinson have been in captivity now for only about six years or so, IIRC, and he doesn't remove the soil typically. One that I got from him a few years back was from one of his early collecting trips to that place, so also about six years in captivity, I think. Like him, I also did not remove much soil when I potted it up two years ago. He pots his into a 50/50 mix, while I use pure inorganics. We have some minor differences in our fertilizing, watering and placement regimens, but they are not drastically different. And yet, the foliage on the newly collected trees, and both his and my potted trees all look the same length and with the same unusually brilliant and deep green color (maybe very slightly more yellow in the wild). Perhaps the remaining "toxic" soil continues to exert an influence on the needle length even though they have put out new roots into the better soils now. But arguing against that is the fact that other Shore pines, and their brothers the Lodgepole and the Murayana, also have short needles that don't seem to change much with "better" treatment in captivity, although the regular Shore pines and the Lodgepoles have slightly longer needles to begin with. Interesting, I agree.

I think we all have the same experience you do with Ponderosas, although I believe Walter Pall has written someplace about methods to shorten their needles almost to JBP standards in captivity.

Now that you mention it, didn't Dan Robinson write an article on Shore Pines in Bonsai Today? I bought a batch of old BT's on eBay recently, and your post brought a vague recollection of his article extolling the virtues of that species.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now that you mention it, didn't Dan Robinson write an article on Shore Pines in Bonsai Today? I bought a batch of old BT's on eBay recently, and your post brought a vague recollection of his article extolling the virtues of that species.

iirc you are probably talking about the article Dan wrote to go with the design of a Shore Pine that was purchased from him. He described the conditions in which it was growing etc. (there might have been another one but I know of that one for sure as i have a copy). They are extremely flexibile the first year or so but as soon as they begin vigorus growth we have discovered that they get more rigid. We repotted a smaller literaty shore pine into all proper bonsai soil and this year it put out longer needles. This tends to make me think that what Will is saying is probably right on the money about keeping some of the old soil to keep the needles short. Not sure but we've seen the results...

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
iirc you are probably talking about the article Dan wrote to go with the design of a Shore Pine that was purchased from him. He described the conditions in which it was growing etc. (there might have been another one but I know of that one for sure as i have a copy). They are extremely flexibile the first year or so but as soon as they begin vigorus growth we have discovered that they get more rigid. We repotted a smaller literaty shore pine into all proper bonsai soil and this year it put out longer needles. This tends to make me think that what Will is saying is probably right on the money about keeping some of the old soil to keep the needles short. Not sure but we've seen the results...

Very interesting - I'll keep mine potted just the way they are! I should post my cascade, no?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
as many trees as you want to post ... the more the merrier :) :) so yes!! (not sure I actually remember the tree in question)...

btw the "We" in the literati pine repotting thing refers to Vic and I... I just noticed that might not have been clear :p

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This cascade - a Shore pine from that area. Maybe it deserves its own thread?

BTW, did you bare root that literati during repotting?

Attachments

• ShorePineCascade-08.jpg
    ShorePineCascade-08.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ohhh very nice!!!! and yes it deserves its own thread...... a very worthy tree.....

I do believe Vic did bare root the pine when putting it in the pot....I also believe its roots were trimmed....

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ohhh very nice!!!! and yes it deserves its own thread...... a very worthy tree.....

I'll open a new thread on it some other time, I think, maybe over the weekend. It's an old photo (last year) anyway, and not an easy one to re-shoot, and not much has changed, so I'd just be posting it for folks to enjoy, and they can enjoy it here if they want. I also feel a bit like I'm the only one, or one of only a few, who are posting their trees here lately. I thought others would have jumped in after the changes BNut made trying to revert the site back to a more bonsai-related one, but despite all the heavy weights here it surprisingly has not happened. Sort of a disappointing response to his attempt to induce some back budding by trimming off an aberrant branch, so to speak. Not that it's what's happening here necessarily, but I invested quite a bit of time and energy on BSite over a several year period, posting trees just to keep the site lively, and I don't want to feel like I'm doing that here if others at or above my skill level aren't also gonna add anything. Been there, done that, burned out, and don't want to slip into that role again. :eek: Maybe others are posting on other sites or on their own blogs or something. Not sure.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great trees! I'm glad you posted them. I couldn't help it and I whipped up a quick sloppy virt for the cascade. Not saying you should, but I certainly WOOD.

-Dave

Attachments

• ShorePineCascade-08virt.jpg
    ShorePineCascade-08virt.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 43

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

I was referring to the candle length rather than needle length...I assumed (incorrectly) that the needles shown on the branch were from a single season of growth...they all looked about the same. Also, it looks like next year's buds (if that's what I'm seeing) seem to be already as long as the section of branch still sporting needles, which represents several years of growth...

In Alabama, Virginia Pines are fun local trees to collect, and the ones forced to grow slowly in crevices of rocks make some nice bonsai (and EASY collecting). The first year, they barely move, but the subsequent years, they push pretty strong growth.

By the way, reading further into the thread to the photo of the whole tree...NICE find!!!!

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, Great Virt! I can hardly tell that it isn't real. I like the design.

Top Bottom