Poor man's air pots

Reaction score
So I've read that Air Pots are good for bonsai but honestly they are both ugly and expensive.

Target is selling these plastic baskets (medium $4, large $6) and since 1) both these trees are really early in development, 2) it's the wrong time of the year to reduce root mass, and 3) the nursey pots they were in kept getting blown over by the wind I decided it was a cheep investment to try these out.

So the question is did I waste my money because the holes are too small to do anything or will I get any positive circulation with these inexpensive pots? I have three other trees in even cheaper colliders and they seem quite vigorous in growth.

(side note: yes my wiring is terrible and I have work to do but last weekend I noticed that all my experimental trees were showing wiring damage from my first attempts in March and now I'm probably too loose)

air pot.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I remember the whole, “Wiring a tree for a picture As a beginner Anxiety” 🤣🤣

Don’t sweat it! You get better/learn new things each tree/branch you wire.

;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
HAHA!!! I was going to chime in with the same, “Looks good, I’ve used similar..” and throw in a “...Uva/b will get to them after a couple years..”..

But dang!

Everyone else had the same idea, it seems.

🤓

Finding good initial training containers is hard if you want to start a tree with something a bit bigger than a bonsai shaped training pot. Although these will not last long term, they are cheap and easily obtained so why not? Just put them in the recycling when they start to break down.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found some nice, shallow baskets at the dollar store, with the weaving on the bottom as well. Doubling them up stiffens them a bit more and will probably increase the lifespan. These are going on 3 years now:

1625669848464.png

Reaction score
I found some nice, shallow baskets at the dollar store, with the weaving on the bottom as well. Doubling them up stiffens them a bit more and will probably increase the lifespan. These are going on 3 years now:
I love finding gems at the dollar store that I don't mind throwing away once the UV gets to them. I'll have to check again. Didn't think about doubling as an option!

Reaction score
I remember the whole, “Wiring a tree for a picture As a beginner Anxiety” 🤣🤣

Don’t sweat it! You get better/learn new things each tree/branch you wire.

;)
I enjoy the process of wiring the tree (how zen it makes me feel) but also know it's a learning process for finding the right level of pressure and placement. It's a marathon not a sprint right? :)

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I think pond baskets are even cheaper and they also have holes in the bottom of the basket. ;)

They are available in different sizes and as round and square baskets.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These look a bit better than pond baskets, but you do need bottom holes. Also, I can get pond baskets for about $1 each.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've been using these Rootbuilder pots.

I got one gallon pots for $5.55 then cut them in half to make two of them.

Top Bottom