Poor man's air pots

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ForThemWhatCare Hey neighbor! Go find a Dollar Tree

Dollar tree betty crocker colanders are just tooo small for nearly everything I have, I did the same and got a TON of different sized baskets from Dollar Tree. You can even cut them down and they still do great, cut all around except for the handles on one of mine just to test and I like it better. I use a LOT of folded grow bags for my big trees, but those have nearly no reuseability as the roots stick and I have to cut it off. And I can't wire them in like these.

I also use Napa, so things aren't drying out if I miss a day.

Sad blue spruce in a collander AND a pond basket because it couldn't stay upright:

1625680294465.png

Dont worry, I uppotted it into a dollar tree basket this year
1625680556338.png

Dollar baskets everywhere
1625680420658.png

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i tried one once, had a privet in there that kept drying out far too quickly. so ive never used a single air pot ever since.

Certainly one's soil and watering have to be adjusted for the pond baskets. I live in a very foggy, coastal area of California and the open structure helps me not stay too wet.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks like a mix of leggy needles, mixed with new shorter needles. But I cant really tell.

The OG poor man air pot is a pond basket. 3$ at every home store and they are usually (sometimes?) UV rated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I bought a stupid shit cam-lock fishtank stand the other day, and while putting it together I finally vowed to never buy that shit again.

Especially since I was JUST at the resale shop and probably could have kept looking or waiting to find something that would last forever.

Forever.

Sorce

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I bought a stupid shit cam-lock fishtank stand the other day, and while putting it together I finally vowed to never buy that shit again.

Especially since I was JUST at the resale shop and probably could have kept looking or waiting to find something that would last forever.

Forever.

Sorce
Good thing about those is the weight is all on the right points. They're cheap but they won't bow under water or cause your tank glass to crack bc it's not supported. Better to build a stand with 2x4s and then skin it

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A few months ago I found the exact same baskets at Target and bought a couple in both sizes. I have only tried one of the smaller ones on a Juniper rescue. It has held up well so far in the California sun, but I don't think I've had it on the bench long enough to really see any degradation. I did have to drill holes in the bottom and screen the handles:
1625774051343.png1625774067231.png

Here it is today after about 3 months:
1625774272113.png1625774299778.png

Seems to get the job done, but I'm not sure I'd buy more. They are a bit flimsy and I am sure there is something similar out there for about the same price, that wouldn't require drilling and screens.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have 3 Dollar Tree collander's myself already in use and another 3 on the shelf waiting for new rescues. But let's be honest, not very pretty. :)

My various experiments before adding the two new trial pots.
View attachment 385107
cool setup^

you bring up an interesting aspect to this hobby, without trying to offend anyone either (i definitely have some mismatched nursery pots and whatnot in my collection too) but theres a fine line in the evolution of this hobby to have it look nice personally and for visitors or others eyes. even in decent pots theres a fine line for it to look nice or interesting to others i think...not that others always matter, but in general

Top Bottom