Portrait of Nigel Saunders in a Canadian magazine

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
I can’t wait to see what his next door neighbor does when the new 25x30’ and 30x50’ greenhouses start to go up. The stockade fence they previously installed isn’t going to be tall enough to block that view!
watch his latest, he shows you where they are going. One piece is in the middle of the woods. Sounds like they are going to make smaller houses with them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I scanned some...long artivle, great article!

Talks of Rob Ross! Lol!

What a great dude.

That's all.

S

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
At first I thought he had to be one of those insufferable Canadian pricks who is "nice", but...not so-nice. The guys you see in Florida with maple leafs on their luggage who talk about the way things are done in Canada.

Turns out, he seems actually nice. Not just Canadian "nice".

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
At first I thought he had to be one of those insufferable Canadian pricks who is "nice", but...not so-nice. The guys you see in Florida with maple leafs on their luggage who talk about the way things are done in Canada.

Turns out, he seems actually nice. Not just Canadian "nice".
we get pricks like that from all over not just Canada.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve never watched a Nigel vid, gotta check it out sometime.

You should check out his videos about cedars, larches and spruce. Some of his other stuff is quite out there. He has a nice thuya forest that he’s modelling after a famous place in BC.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We come in lots of flavours. Mainly cod, poutine, walleye, beef, weed, moose and beer.

I’ve never watched a Nigel vid, gotta check it out sometime.
I've never met a Canadian I didnt like.
I've also never watched a Nigel Saunders video either.
I may have to scope one out.
Is he weed flavored?

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Here is where it gets kind of dark and insidious. It's long, but I'll summarize.

A nice, hard-working fella (Gerald) is paid to repair some car damage. Gerald does an outstanding job in inclement conditions. The customer, Martin, is in his face the whole time with a camera asking stupid questions, and giving a snarky tone when gets an answer he doesn't fully understand ("uh..ok?"). Martin defends that saying he had permission from Gerald to film. But Gerald (a nice working class guy) isn't going to say no to the customer. Read between the lines!

When all is said and done, Gerald does a great job, throws in some significant extras (like polishing the whole car and headlights, which is worth a good $150+ on it's own). It's sort of implied that he doesn't tip the guy (being overly happy with how little it cost him). He doesn't even plug his business or give contact information.

Grade A asshole in that peculiar under-handed, plausibly deniable Canadian form.

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like his presentation style but it sets my teeth on edge when he repots. Mesh isn't tied in and neither are his trees. His clip n grow pine is also kinda non standard too but at least he walks his own path.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nigel gave me the courage to cut my trees. One of the first videos I saw of his, he root pruned and chopped the tree down to nothing, and it survived!!!

After seeing that, I have ZERO fear of cutting my trees back hard.

Top Bottom