Portuclacaria Afra Progress

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently visited Meehan's Miniatures in Boonsboro MD and man does this place have a collection of tropical trees. I found this portuclacaria afra hidden between two shefflera arboricolas. It was funny because my original intent for going was to find a few shefflera trees. I studied the p.afra for quite a while, because I wasn't sure if I'd want another p.afra. The price really did sweeten the deal because I thought it was a steal for being $60 bucks. My one reason for not wanting another one was mainly due to the fact the club I belong to don't really see these plants being traditional bonsai material. I want help with it in the future but I definitely get the negative vibe towards p.afras from the more senior members.

I came home with it anyway. I got one member who praised me for putting the time and effort into something weird and strange. So I guess that's a compliment! I'll take it! I placed the tree by my growing window on a turn table and I think for a month I couldn't do anything to it because I wanted it to get acclimated. I have a very bright window and even with the intense brightness, it can't compare to the green house it originally came from. So it did lose a bit of foliage but it wasn't significant. It's a mood swing, it'll get over it. When I noticed the p.afra pushing new growth was when I figured it was time I get working on it.

16123265_392277371144472_2043968875967545344_n.jpg

This is what it looked like after its mood swing subsided and it started pushing new growth. I placed it into a large pot to stabilize it, and in a span of about 3 days, I gave this p.afra its first initial styling. Here is the end result, light and camera action at the ready.

16908217_1460192150671048_2135689294143029248_n.jpg

At this point, I'd like to get it into a pot because I'm satisfied with the tree's size and I'm ready to refine the tree. However, after the intense restyling, I decided to take my time before moving to the next phase. I currently don't have any large enough pots that will work with this tree. The good thing is, while I took my time, we had a raffle at the club and for 20 bucks I got 6 pots and one of them seemed to have some potential! I did have another pot but it was very shallow, I would say 1-2 inches at most in depth. I was very concerned that if I had forced this p.afra into the shallow pot, it'd possibly die a slow painful death. But I was assured by the seller and from most growers, this thing can take a beating. I was always trained to take it gradual so IF I were to put it into a shallower pot, it's going to be in the future.

FC5xDda.jpg

Here is the deep pot I got at the raffle.

wqjjydx.jpg

Here is the shallow pot I had on hand.

I ultimately ended up with the deeper pot. Last weekend, I prepped the pot and bonsai mix for this tree and I added a bit of orchid small sifted coconut husks into the mix. This is a recipe of 60% of Akadama 25% of pumice, 10% of lava, and 5% of the orchid coconut husks.

17267846_410419925998476_8258742946476589056_n.jpg

Cardinal sin staring right in front of you, crossing roots. I DIDN'T GET RID OF IT. Shame on me...

17332493_1892360951043326_5348246409743171584_n.jpg

Wedging the rootball into place, checking the front next.

17126375_1324895014216571_5688857025920892928_n.jpg

Checking the front, and wire into place. Note the new growth after a month of waiting. I trimmed the new growth off afterwards.

17126549_723697981142645_6155017176907513856_n.jpg

And here is the p.afra in its new home! I will say, that the eyes will tend to show the slightest of differences in size and yes I do believe this pot may be a bit too big for the tree. I put a lot of patience into this plant/tree/succulent whatever you call it. I really like what came out of it.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I like it. It's a nice example of a plant u don't see many nice specimens of. This species doesn't really have a natural style, and as some of your club members point out it's not really a tree anyway, so I figure anything goes! But for the haters I say if bonsai are little trees providing the illusion of big trees, then this is more so because it's even faking the tree part. And doing it well in the right hands. These can get beautiful ramification and dense foliage pads with strong light, pruning, and time.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hell yeah man!
That is a beast one!
Looks good already!
I was up there in January, I saw their big Trident trunks....but passed because they were just dug up this past autumn.
I'll check back in a few months.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@just.wing.it I think I did see a really massive maple. That was it?! I thought it'd be like at least 5 grand. But nonetheless, I don't have 2k to spend on a maple haha.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Traditional?! I bet most of the guys in your club are also white americans. traditional....

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool tree. Welcome back! $60 is a bargain. Up here, even these things are clockin' top dollar!!;):):D:D:D

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's got a great looking root system too.. I don't usually see or comment on root stuff but it's good to have a solid base. None of mine really have that yet.

Random User

Reaction score
If you paid $60.00 for that plant, you did very well IMHO. I bought one for $40.00 CDN (with 25% off) at X-mas time that is/was similar in structure, but only about 1/2 the trunk diameter (maybe a little over 1"). I put mine in a cheap, high-gloss black bonsai pot, but without doing the amount of rootwork you have done. Personally, I have found that they take up more water than I was given the impression they would, and use a moisture sensor to regulate watering... now things have settled down quite well. I have mine under some T5 grow lights, and it seems happy. Askadams web site claims that they can take a lot of granular fertilizer, but you probably already know that because you stated that you already have another plant.

Personally, I like the finished look and the tree is sure to grow into it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good for you for wiring it :) I'm not sure that it will hold it's shape however, but I may be wrong. They are certainly fun plants to work on - and they will bud back everywhere, so if you make a mistake you can simply chop it off!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(excessive cussing and joke insults abound) warning!

Well shit Lieuz!

I don't know how this tree hasn't provoked a cuss or 2 yet!

That's Fucking raw!

Man.......
Your club shouldn't ever make you feel any negative way.

Just saying.

I know a club that is way accepting....worldwide....
And who's voltron head loves and eats P.Afra.

You should carve a rock "fuck you" and display it at the next club show....

And proceed to sell cutting for like $20 each!

I understand it's not that serious.
See disclaimer above.

You sure knocked this one out the park!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought you hated these plants Sorce...

If I ever said I did I was probly joking.
Trying to recall that "are Jade Plants bonsai?" thread.

After hearing of their air cleaning qualities and all, I really do love them.

Seems like a cheat though.
As far as Bonsai.

But they do present their own difficulties.

This, BRT, and Premna are on my tropical to do list.

Sorce

Random User

Reaction score
BRT is an unrealistic dream for this zone... love the look of those trees though.

Top Bottom