Portuclacaria Afra Progress

ToddB

Seedling
Reaction score
I didn't provide an update but, wow, I couldn't believe this happened... A month ago, a week before the unjudged local show, I put this tree outside to ween this tree outdoors and it got about 4 hours of direct sun. It was a really nice sunny day and was about 75+ degrees out and then the temps suddenly fell back into around freezing. I brought the tree back in before it got any chance to drop below 50 degrees and the next few days were overcast, so back it goes to the growing bay window. Suddenly, I immediately witnessed the tree lose a tremendous amount of leaves in real time! I blew on the leaves and the tree would just drop leaves. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. I was very careful with this tree, I was very gradual with changes and allowed an ample amount of time for recuperation. I didn't over water or under water but a lot of leaves dropped....like....a lot that just weren't yellow, dried, or wilted. I could only think it was caused by me subjecting it to a sudden huge dose of sun. After the 3rd day, it stopped fussing and I placed the tree back out and temps were mid 70s and in partial shade for the rest of the week. I was glad it stopped dropping leaves but was disappointed to see the tree with a diminished apex and foliage. None the less, I was glad that it stopped just in time for the local show. Here is what the tree looked like at the show.

17933734_1675512006091641_1658070831835643904_n.jpg

It was very apparent to me, but the viewer might or might not pick up on how sparse the apex has become....

But regardless of the loss of foliage, when I had come to pick the tree up to go home, the president of the club informed me that leadership has selected 7 trees to move forward to the Potomac Bonsai Association show and this was one of the trees to represent the club! I was floored! I was so honored as it gives me a second chance to ensure the tree regains its health so it can redeem itself. To show the public what I believe this tree is capable of. The other honor is to have this tree sit on the benches at the National Arboretum's Bonsai and Penjing museum display benches. What an incredible honor I could only dream of. I was adamant, and this tree really did regrow all of its foliage and I couldn't have been more proud. Here is the tree today at the PBA Show.

View attachment 145537

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think I saw this tree at the National Arboretum show, which club are you apart of?

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been a while, have an update! This p.afra has lost its battle with the local squirrels. It's currently winterizing early by a few weeks indoors.

It got a bit haircut in the summer.
zHEFkT1.jpg

HFDlHKQ.jpg

You don't see it but by this time the squirrels have gnawed a bit on the back side and took a chunk. Seriously, fuck squirrels.

Here is the latest and greatest just last week, after 3 months from the last picture. Note the damage. It had a nice nebari.

tW4Awh4.jpg

Here's one last one with his little brother.
RtqqQce.jpg

Next year, I will erect a wooden framed box and put window screen in it. I will win nexr year and eat the squirrels flesh and drink their blood without remorse!!

Also p.afra leaves taste delish! Should have a go at it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Been a while, have an update! This p.afra has lost its battle with the local squirrels. It's currently winterizing early by a few weeks indoors.

zHEFkT1.jpg

HFDlHKQ.jpg

You don't see it but by this time the squirrels have gnawed a bit on the back side and took a chunk. Seriously, fuck squirrels.

Here is the latest and greatest just last week, after 3 months from the last picture. Note the damage. It had a nice nebari.

tW4Awh4.jpg

Here's one last one with his little brother.
RtqqQce.jpg

Next year, I will erect a wooden framed box and put window screen in it. I will win nexr year and eat the squirrels flesh and drink their blood without remorse!!

Lol!
I love your passion on the squirrel front...
Maybe splash that squirrel's blood with some whisky or gin!...might be onto something there.....
The tree is looking nice, and the little one too.

Edit: and yes! They taste good!, I like the new leaves, freshies!

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Looks great! thanks for sharing!

And f squirrels.

And chipmunks.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
You got off light! I had some rodent or other years ago eat one down to the substrate! Completely gone!

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Long hiatus, after a repot, a planting change, removal of a branch and a ton of refinement work, this tree now lives in a cage during the summer and in a tent in the winter (what a life...). Here it is all dolled up in August. Currently, it's not been doing so hot, had a lot of leaf drop and still trying to figure out wth happened!
IMG_0463_edited-04 (1).jpeg

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Could i trouble you to re - upload the photos from the beginning of the thread? They're not showing up for me, and I'd love to see the progression of this tree.

Top Bottom