Portuclacaria Afra Progress

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(excessive cussing and joke insults abound) warning!

And proceed to sell cutting for like $20 each!

Sorce

Because in our cold climate you actually can! And then some.

Larches on the other hand, might as well be given away.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
The BRTs and Premnas are fantastic trees. Love them.
This Portucalaria Afra is really nice. The branches look so muscular.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Lobaeux why thank you
gaston-muscles-gif.gif

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a (unjudged) club show happening this weekend and was asked to submit this tree. I decided to add temporary show moss and one of my kokedama tailored to fit this guy. All of the plantings are succulents and the tan color to me signifies the sandy environment.

17494515_206166983204784_3282051812458233856_n.jpg

HankB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing. It gives me something to look forward to. If any club members don't care for it, you can say "at least I didn't buy it on Amazon!" (As did I. ;) ) The one I bought was a price match with Walmart which has got to be worse yet. :eek: Mine arrived yesterday and has a long way to go, but was well packed and seems to be in good condition.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
embarrassing

Nah bruh.

Learning is great and not embarrassing.

YouTube all the Critique videos and this stuff gets way easier.
Ryan Neil at our MBS show.
Bjorns.
Peter Tea in Milwaukee.
Colin Lewis.
Rodney Clemmons..(sp)

Besides.....

The phenomenon of....
"Looking at your art too long"
And then not knowing if it is good or not....

With the time it takes to build a tree....
And the countless thought hours put into it....

By the time it comes to display....
Our artful sense is very nullified.

This is Sooooooo amplified in this art.

It will serve everyone to remember a second or third set of eyes come display time will greatly increase our small show successes!

That and sharing stands and accents and such.

I love this tree and already shared its story on our blog.

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a succulent with very laggy growth, how hard can I cut it back (does it need to have green on the tips or can I "hail-mary" prune it?)

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a succulent with very laggy growth, how hard can I cut it back (does it need to have green on the tips or can I "hail-mary" prune it?)

If by succulent you mean portulacaria you do not need to leave any leaves assuming it is healthy. If something else then I don't know.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
When I've defoliated mine, I've always left the smallest leaves intact or at least one on each branch. These things are tough, so I'm sure you can cut it right down and it'll come back.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's an "Crassula ovata '... ...
@Cypress187 ... ...They don't make great bonsai trees due to the foliage and they are incredibly slow growers.
Here in my place it is Portulacaria which is slow grower, Crassula ovata is very fast on growth, instead. But you are correct about the leaves, they are quite big.
Anyone has experience with techniques to shorten them?

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't provide an update but, wow, I couldn't believe this happened... A month ago, a week before the unjudged local show, I put this tree outside to ween this tree outdoors and it got about 4 hours of direct sun. It was a really nice sunny day and was about 75+ degrees out and then the temps suddenly fell back into around freezing. I brought the tree back in before it got any chance to drop below 50 degrees and the next few days were overcast, so back it goes to the growing bay window. Suddenly, I immediately witnessed the tree lose a tremendous amount of leaves in real time! I blew on the leaves and the tree would just drop leaves. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. I was very careful with this tree, I was very gradual with changes and allowed an ample amount of time for recuperation. I didn't over water or under water but a lot of leaves dropped....like....a lot that just weren't yellow, dried, or wilted. I could only think it was caused by me subjecting it to a sudden huge dose of sun. After the 3rd day, it stopped fussing and I placed the tree back out and temps were mid 70s and in partial shade for the rest of the week. I was glad it stopped dropping leaves but was disappointed to see the tree with a diminished apex and foliage. None the less, I was glad that it stopped just in time for the local show. Here is what the tree looked like at the show.

17933734_1675512006091641_1658070831835643904_n.jpg

It was very apparent to me, but the viewer might or might not pick up on how sparse the apex has become....

But regardless of the loss of foliage, when I had come to pick the tree up to go home, the president of the club informed me that leadership has selected 7 trees to move forward to the Potomac Bonsai Association show and this was one of the trees to represent the club! I was floored! I was so honored as it gives me a second chance to ensure the tree regains its health so it can redeem itself. To show the public what I believe this tree is capable of. The other honor is to have this tree sit on the benches at the National Arboretum's Bonsai and Penjing museum display benches. What an incredible honor I could only dream of. I was adamant, and this tree really did regrow all of its foliage and I couldn't have been more proud. Here is the tree today at the PBA Show.

IMG_1296.JPG

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I saw your tree yesterday and remember it, although I didn't associate it with this thread at the time. I remember my overall impression was of a very massive tree. This will be very good when the canopy fills in with finer ramifications and leaves. Nice job.

HankB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratulations on the selection going to the next level. Still a good looking tree!

I'm not sure about your weaning strategy. I start by putting plants out on overcast days or in a spot that is shaded from mid day sun (or in full sun early morning and late afternoon.) Over a period of several days or a week I gradually increase exposure to the sun. Seems to work for me.

Top Bottom