portulacaria afra brought home. Any thoughts?

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I bought this nice little portulacaria afra back in September at a nursery. It's been sitting in a heated greenhouse at the nursery up until today, when I decided it was time for me to bring it home. Why now and not spring? Well the temperature was above freezing, and I wanted to stare at it, pondering future designs.

All of my tropicals, and spekbooms have been sitting under HOt5's under a 14 on/10 off light cycle since early September, and this one will be with them within the week. Right now it's in quarantine by a south facing window, getting treated for mites. Thankfully I've had a very clean and pest free grow room this winter, and I'd like to keep it that way.

So a couple things will be done to this for starters. It's been sitting in pretty much 100% organic soil for it's whole life. Last time it was repotted was about 16 months ago. I would like to take it out of it's earthy home and put it into a 75%-100% inorganic mix. I've been testing various mixes on my other portulacaria afra, and I found a Lava (or growstone)/haydite (or granite)/~ 15% sifted spaghnum mix to work fairly well. Sometimes pine bark is substituted in or akadama is added. whatever is lying around really.

Going with the repotting question, after it's stay in quarantine, and once it acclimatizes itself to the lights (I will expect some leaf drop), can I repot this lil fella in say February? or just wait till Spring? I'm not really concerned about putting it into a right bonsai pot right now, just something deeper, to keep on thickening it up.

Secondly, there will be some serious cutting back happening here. I asked the nursery to not cut anything back so it was growing freely from about August, which is the last time it was pruned. I actually visited this tree before Christmas, and was quite surprised how much it grew in just a few weeks.

The tree is about 2.5 feet tall with a base trunk thickness of about 1.5". It has a gentle curve already but I find the taper reduces significantly as you head up the trunk. I want to do a cut for a new leader at approximately the half way point. When I have some time, I'll photoshop what I mean. Originally I saw an informal upright in it, but the more I look at it, the more options and trees I see. I'm not afraid of drastic pruning especially on this species, but can I do a drastic cut at this time of the year? Can I do it along with a re-potting? Or just wait.. (which I'm fine with as well!:))

I was hoping to take some cutting in the winter months, so once some steady warm temperatures arrive, I can present them to the sun. I have plans of a portulacaria forest. Eventually, in like 10 years.. I have patience... somewhere.

Thirdly, there's a pronounced root crossing over another root. From what I gather, it's not too popular in proper bonsai's. If I sever it down the road (not now, probably in a couple years in a following re pot) can I expect dieback, or is this thing just super resilient to abuse?

Lastly, since cabin fever is slowly starting to show it's first signs, I thought it might be good to think about future designs of this tree before any serious cutbacks are made. If anyone has any thoughts, opinions, or anecdotes please share them. If better photos are required, I'll be happy to take them.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0254.JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0255.JPG

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously these trees are as tough as they come. Here is a link that might give you more insight of it, in their natural environment...there's also a nice forest in there for you ;)
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/portulacarafra.htm
Any good draining soil will be good for it. Mine grows best in pumice and 20% pine bark.. Counter to what some believe, they like a lot of water when they're growing. They cope with cold above freezing well. They also like lots of fertilizer. They are rapid growers that can get out of hand quickly. Depending on your weather they can also be lazy to grow. Give them plenty sun. You want that leaf tips almost a reddish glow. To little sun and it grows dark green leaves.
As to styling...I go natural, but you are the decider on what you want from it, and what it says to you....;) Maybe a in/formal upright with this one...?
Cut back can be done anytime really. It doesn't die back much. Just leave it dry where you cut it.... but I suspect you have seen it on your others...:) I,ve taken off a 1 inch cutting in winter, stuck it in the above mix and left it until spring before I watered it. They are natural survivors...they always grow back.
If it was mine I would replant when its warm enough to go outside...that's when they will adapt best.
You can cut away that crossing root without fear. It wont miss a beat....;)
No BS I use its leaves in my cooking sometimes...just to be different and because I can...:p

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike....

That is a great looking Spek.

I don't know anything about them...
But I'd eat it if Fred does!

Just want to point out, that outside that greenhouse....growth will be different.
Likely slower, but different for sure.

Does it have mites? Or are you just treating it?

Nice!

Sorce

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike....

That is a great looking Spek.

I don't know anything about them...
But I'd eat it if Fred does!

Just want to point out, that outside that greenhouse....growth will be different.
Likely slower, but different for sure.

Does it have mites? Or are you just treating it?

Nice!

Sorce

Well I saw webs on it, so I'm just treating it with soap and water as a precautionary measure. No harsh pesticides. I havn't used any toxic stuff on my indoor lot this winter. The lady bugs I collected and set free in my grow room seem to be managing any bugs.

I'm definitely looking forward to the progress of this tree. I have a bunch of speks at home, and I've been learning off of them. I know many don't believe they're a real bonsai species, but I've seen some examples that make me think otherwise. Nevertheless, lots of potential with this puppy.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously these trees are as tough as they come. Here is a link that might give you more insight of it, in their natural environment...there's also a nice forest in there for you ;)
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/portulacarafra.htm
Any good draining soil will be good for it. Mine grows best in pumice and 20% pine bark.. Counter to what some believe, they like a lot of water when they're growing. They cope with cold above freezing well. They also like lots of fertilizer. They are rapid growers that can get out of hand quickly. Depending on your weather they can also be lazy to grow. Give them plenty sun. You want that leaf tips almost a reddish glow. To little sun and it grows dark green leaves.
As to styling...I go natural, but you are the decider on what you want from it, and what it says to you....;) Maybe a in/formal upright with this one...?
Cut back can be done anytime really. It doesn't die back much. Just leave it dry where you cut it.... but I suspect you have seen it on your others...:) I,ve taken off a 1 inch cutting in winter, stuck it in the above mix and left it until spring before I watered it. They are natural survivors...they always grow back.
If it was mine I would replant when its warm enough to go outside...that's when they will adapt best.
You can cut away that crossing root without fear. It wont miss a beat....;)
No BS I use its leaves in my cooking sometimes...just to be different and because I can...:p

I noticed with my other speks the same thing. In a free draining soil, especially when they're growing out in the full sun, they like water! I water them when they're outdoors just as any other tree on my bench. Unfortunatly, due to where I live, it gets too cold to leave em out doors all year round. I have noticed a difference in growth though, dependent on where I put them on my shelf inside. The ones that are just a couple inches away from the light grow like mad. The ones that are on lower shelves, where there is a 5degree (Celsius) difference and are about 6" away from lights are growing slower and drop leaves more often. The ones that are almost touching the t5's love the heat and the light and they get watered maybe once every 10-14 days. No wilting, just growing.

I've noticed when I put all my portulacara's and crassula's outside they developed the reddish tinge. The crassulas more so than the portulacara's.

I think I will wait with the repot as suggested until the temps warm up significantly and everything gets to stay outside. The chop on the other hand will happen as soon as I figure out the direction I'll go in. Question: can I cut the main trunk on an angle to develop a new leader, just as it's done on maples, elms, larches etc? or do I have to cut it straight? If I cut it on an angle I estimate I will cut through 2 rings on the trunk (where the new shoots come out of) I've been primarily cutting all of my speks with straight cuts, and using a clip n grow technique. I don't want to kill the new leader off the bat you know?

I appreciate knowing that I can cut off the top crossing root without much repercussions. I can sleep easy now! lol.

Thanks for the link and info!

Cheers,

Mike.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im confused. Which one is the big leaf and which is the small? I have both. I noticed the bigger one is getting a little wilty. I just moved it to a sunnier spot thinking it would be happier. Could it be overwatered? I have watered it a bit more but didnt think it was too much. Now its drying out to see if it helps. There nice looking as cascades, several of mine are hanging from walls in special pots. There all growing now with the increase of sun. Do they shed from being moved to a sunnier place? I watered more because of the increase in light. Bad idea? The others are fine where they are, not wilty and so I water them less in the shade. There dark but seem healthy to me. Thanks.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Im confused. Which one is the big leaf and which is the small? I have both. I noticed the bigger one is getting a little wilty. I just moved it to a sunnier spot thinking it would be happier. Could it be overwatered? I have watered it a bit more but didnt think it was too much. Now its drying out to see if it helps. There nice looking as cascades, several of mine are hanging from walls in special pots. There all growing now with the increase of sun. Do they shed from being moved to a sunnier place? I watered more because of the increase in light. Bad idea? The others are fine where they are, not wilty and so I water them less in the shade. There dark but seem healthy to me. Thanks.
Portulacaria afra is the small one crassula ovata is the large leave one.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know the species, but I think that you have at least 3 trees there (and an extra pot, as that one looks too large).
CW

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Personally, I water my crassula ovata's once a month, seldom twice? They've been in the same cactus soil mix for about 8 years now. They all grew like mad outside this summer. This spring they will get repotted for sure.

I find that with any tropical, if you move it from spot to spot they tend to shed a few leaves as they acclimatize? Atleast that's what I tell myself is happening. Especially if moving them from intense light to moderate light, and vice versa. I skipped the 'put them in the shade for a week, as they acclimatize to the sun' in the spring, and put them in full sun from the get go. Boy did they ever drop leaves.. self pruning I call it. But then they exploded with new growth. Didn't seem to skip a beat!

I let my crassula's dry out completely between waterings, partially because they're in what seems to be about an 90% organic mix. They don't seem to mind it. All my portulacaria's sit in a primarily inorganic mix, and they seem to like being watered about every 2 weeks in the winter, and pretty much every 1 to 2 days in the summer as they're growing. They sit in an unobstructed south facing backyard that gets sun from sunrise to sunset.

Both species seem to tolerate fertilizing well. In the summer I fertilize them once a week. From October-May about once every 2 months.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know the species, but I think that you have at least 3 trees there (and an extra pot, as that one looks too large).
CW
atleast 3. i agree. i'll probably end up using the pot just for cutting propagation. I'll have an even bigger one for the main, already rooted tree. lol. it wont get a proper sized pot for atleast a few years.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
can I cut the main trunk on an angle to develop a new leader, just as it's done on maples, elms, larches etc?
No angular cuts don't work on them. They have "segments" (lack of a better word) and the cut should be done between two. The end of the segment dries out and the new growth grows from only there (never use any paste on a cut). It can be wired and bent with guy wires, but can also snap easy on that segments...After growth has appeared choose a new leader and trim the little stub. They do roll over well in time to cover a scar...;)
The tree has evolved that way for the animals breaks off pieces when feeding on it. It breaks off easier at that segment. When pieces falls to the ground, it lays there on hard dry soil and grows roots again without any rain....that's why its so tough (it stores its water inside itself. It can go without water for long times when not growing. In those times rather give it to little than to much). In the wild where they naturally grow they establish and spread themselves that way. They really cover vast areas....enough for elephants to feed on daily :eek:

Last edited:

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 weeks ago I took a cutting from this portucalaria and a couple of days ago it started pushing out new growth.

With that kind of reassurance I went forth and done did some more chopping today.

If these cuttings root as well as the first, I should have some nice trees in a few years.

The last photo was taken just as my lights turned off for the night in the grow room. I'll snap a better one tomorrow.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Leaves are plump and happy. Impressive that they grow that well under lights. What's the temp in there?

Its high summer here and mine is in full flight now.. loves the heat wave we're having here. I played with it again yesterday. It grows to a proper tree in the wild, and this one asked me to be a African savannah tree....:p
2016-02-03 16.40.06.jpg

As a side note... They are called tropical, but they don't naturally grow near a tropical region. They naturally disperse only over dry and arid, semi deserts areas. Maybe it sounds more romantic to the nursery people...I don't know :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom