portulacaria afra Care tips (elephant bush)

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
so questions about portulacaria afra. I was looking for indoor bonsai and had some portulacaria afra in succulent arrangements so chose that one. See photo attached. All leaves are turning black and dropping off. I am watering every 3-4 days as soil dries out and happening with both soil types using 1.) bonsai soil mix (pumice , lava, calcined clay and pine bark) 2.) cactus mix with extra perlite. Both are having same issue. Plants are around 24” from grow light and get around 7 hours a day. Humidity around 50%. All other plants are doing fine (succulents, money trees, etc). However this one just can’t get right. Any suggestions on soil type, watering schedule or any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 4681724B-F881-4C87-8327-84088B0B6FED.png
    4681724B-F881-4C87-8327-84088B0B6FED.png
    305.6 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so questions about portulacaria afra. I was looking for indoor bonsai and had some portulacaria afra in succulent arrangements so chose that one. See photo attached. All leaves are turning black and dropping off. I am watering every 3-4 days as soil dries out and happening with both soil types using 1.) bonsai soil mix (pumice , lava, calcined clay and pine bark) 2.) cactus mix with extra perlite. Both are having same issue. Plants are around 24” from grow light and get around 7 hours a day. Humidity around 50%. All other plants are doing fine (succulents, money trees, etc). However this one just can’t get right. Any suggestions on soil type, watering schedule or any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Difficult to say, but you should not be encountering any major issues with portulacaria, which is known as pretty bulletproof. Depending on how hot your lights are, I suggest placing them within 12 inches of the plant tops. And if you mean 7 hours of artificial light, then that is not nearly enough - should be roughly double.

I don't think your problem is watering, but it is possible that you have some fungal or pest issues. Or simply not enough light.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Try taking a chop stick and poking several holes into the soil, then soak the whole pot under water for a few minutes. Once that cactus mix drys out it can actually repel water. Not sure about your other soil mixture, I plant mine in a similar mixture and they thrive.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Leaves don't usually shrivel and dry up like that unless they need water. I just use Miracle-Gro succulent mix for mine and water once a week.

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Leaves don't usually shrivel and dry up like that unless they need water. I just use Miracle-Gro succulent mix for mine and water once a week.
Yea I was thinking bonsai soil might drain too quickly causing to dry out. Appreciate feedback!

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Difficult to say, but you should not be encountering any major issues with portulacaria, which is known as pretty bulletproof. Depending on how hot your lights are, I suggest placing them within 12 inches of the plant tops. And if you mean 7 hours of artificial light, then that is not nearly enough - should be roughly double.

I don't think your problem is watering, but it is possible that you have some fungal or pest issues. Or simply not enough light.
They leaves were turning bright yellow and then getting wrinkly and black at 24 inches away so I was thinking too much light. I will increase and see if makes difference.

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Try taking a chop stick and poking several holes into the soil, then soak the whole pot under water for a few minutes. Once that cactus mix drys out it can actually repel water. Not sure about your other soil mixture, I plant mine in a similar mixture and they thrive.
Thanks I use a choptstick when soil get compact to loosen. This is driving me nuts! Lol. Appreciate help

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Low light doesn't cause leaves to dry and shrivel like that. They either stop growing or get leggy. They can survive low light for quite a long time.

These guyscare succulents...they know how to prevent dissication. Even plucked leaves can take weeks to dry out like those in the picture. Usually if the plant is underwatered, the branches get weak and droppy too. Unless there is a hot light and/or a dry wind, it can take months of no water for leaves still attached to look like that.

My less likely guess would be either an insect or fungal infestation killing the leaves...which I think unlikely since the leaves are thick and waxy. I don't think spider mites can bite into them...I've never had a mite problem with them anyway. Most too small to see critters are going to have a tough time. And if it were larger critters, you should be able to see them.

The guess I'm maybe more confident in from the pictures and little information is that there may be a heater vent blowing warm dry air on them? That plus severely compacted soil as mentioned above could cause dry leaves still on the plant in a short time.

Otherwise, more data needed :(

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Low light doesn't cause leaves to dry and shrivel like that. They either stop growing or get leggy. They can survive low light for quite a long time.

These guyscare succulents...they know how to prevent dissication. Even plucked leaves can take weeks to dry out like those in the picture. Usually if the plant is underwatered, the branches get weak and droppy too. Unless there is a hot light and/or a dry wind, it can take months of no water for leaves still attached to look like that.

My less likely guess would be either an insect or fungal infestation killing the leaves...which I think unlikely since the leaves are thick and waxy. I don't think spider mites can bite into them...I've never had a mite problem with them anyway. Most too small to see critters are going to have a tough time. And if it were larger critters, you should be able to see them.

The guess I'm maybe more confident in from the pictures and little information is that there may be a heater vent blowing warm dry air on them? That plus severely compacted soil as mentioned above could cause dry leaves still on the plant in a short time.

Otherwise, more data needed :(
They’re under grow light with no draft. I did repot from regular soil to bonsai and this happened so thinking maybe I watered to early after repot ? Left some in cactus soil perlite mix and moved some to bonsai to test / try to save.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Are the ones in the cactus soil doing the same thing?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Inside, are you sure the soil is drying out? Succulents will shrivel up due to rotting with too much water. I have a succulent array in a pot outside here in southern ca and it can go over a week without water.

Ejlamiotte

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They’re under grow light with no draft. I did repot from regular soil to bonsai and this happened so thinking maybe I watered to early after repot ? Left some in cactus soil perlite mix and moved some to bonsai to test / try to save.
I watered mine right after I repotted it into bonsai mix, and it is thriving. Didn't skip a beat, so that is probably not the problem

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are the ones in the cactus soil doing the same thing?
Yes but felt mushier. Still dark black but not as dry. which was making me think too much watering. I’m just to find the just right balance because seems to be too dry and too moist lol

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I watered mine right after I repotted it into bonsai mix, and it is thriving. Didn't skip a beat, so that is probably not the problem
How often are you watering in bonsai soil?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not sure if it helps, but Outside, I water mine as much as possible. They are in a very similar soil.

I would go as far as saying it’s a myth that they can be overwatered in bonsai soil. Mine have sat through heavy rain and heavy watering and only explode with growth

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In my experience, these are killed by precisely one thing: roots staying too wet for too long. Mine are all in super fast draining organic media and can still go weeks without watering indoors in the winter. I water when the leaves feel thin and soft. If the leaves are thick, plump, or turgid, don't water. If the soil is damp at all, don't water.

Ejlamiotte

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont keep track of how often I water, I water by what the leaves look like. If they look a bit thinner then normal and the mix is completely dry, then I water. You can find all kinds of videos on YouTube on how to know when to water the elephant bush, so you know what to look for.

Jash

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure if it helps, but Outside, I water mine as much as possible. They are in a very similar soil.

I would go as far as saying it’s a myth that they can be overwatered in bonsai soil. Mine have sat through heavy rain and heavy watering and only explode with growth
Thanks!

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just looks like it's dropping some old leaves and growing new ones. Mine have been doing that after repotting or changes in light ( brought inside, etc). Maybe a sign of stress or an adaptation to different light levels? They always bounce back

I wouldn't worry.

syndragosa

Seed
Reaction score
when i had this happen to mine it wound up being a pest problem i hadnt noticed due to all the creases and hiding places on the plant itself

Top Bottom