Portulacaria Afra Clump #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, it's definitely pretty clearly the case. I still get some upwards growth but as the branches get heavier, they droop rather easily. I'm a little concerned with the joints, but I'm going to keep messing with them anyway. I may look for a non-prostrate variety.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This had some scale insects on it so I treated with a solution of 1pt olive oil mixed with 1pt dish soap. I then diluted that mixture in water 2tsp to 1cup warm water. I let the plant sit for about 30min then sprayed with regular clean water. Seems to have worked well. Will see how it does next few weeks. I also trimed the entire plant up.

20201015_200026.jpg

20201015_202134.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got given one of these for free, when buying 2 other trees. So, naturally I had to care of it. Its been mostly on the window sill then can live outside in summer for a month or 2 then back again... I took cuttings and as I was doing some other ones, did them too. Stuck them in 100% molar clay. Gave zero shits about them, did not care.. You ain't kidding, 100% success rate on all 7 lol.
Now I have 8 of these trees that I accidentally have to care about ... !!

New plan, going to put the cuttings in to a little slab type thing (that I have yet to buy) and make a little forest of them.. it looks really cool in my head. But yeh, thats how I came to be caring for and training 8 trees that I dont like to begin with...

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the slab idea. I might bring a piece of slate home from PA for such a purpose.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also it allows me to completely forget any and all skill with these trees... can just relax and do something silly with them, it can easily look cool.
With other big trees, expensive etc, its all a lot more pressure.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So inside these didnt respond well. I think they need a repot because the soil is just not draining well at all. But I moved them back outside to 100% full sun and within two or three days, buds everywhere. Impossible tree to kill.

20210510_115200.jpg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So inside these didnt respond well.
I’ve only done one overwintering, but it seems like they need high light levels inside. They did ok for me under lights. But anytime I’ve given cuttings to friends and family, they’ve never thrived inside without supplemental light.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, I just try and hold them over to spring and get them outside as soon as temps stay over 50... then as much sun as possible... but bench space is limited!!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This didnt do a thing over the summer. Probably needed more sun and fertilizer and water and everything else in between.

20230922_190243.jpg

Top Bottom