Portulacaria Afra Cuttings - When to start shaping ?

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a quite young (less than 1 year maybe) cutting from a portulacaria afra which for light reason has grown in this way :

cutting_1.png

I have a general and a specific question.
General: when start shaping? I understand we start working on the trunk first through wiring before it becomes too stiff but what about pruning? Would it be better to grow it freely until it becomes large and vigourous or start pruning branches and training it from early stage?
This because I have seen several demonstration of bonsai artist starting from already developed trees (Yamadori?). I have only one book (Bonsai from Native trees and shrubs - busch that covers this topic), but I am looking for more details.

Specific: Would it better to wire in order to straight up the leader or leave it as it is and try a semi-cascade style?
Thanks

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me personally....I won't even think of shaping it. It's just to small and immature. I'd first grow a proper trunk. Put it in the ground to grow. They grow fast that way. Alternatively recess the pot in the ground so the roots can escape. You can take it out any time and put it upright. The roots will carry on as if nothing happened.

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
Me personally....I won't even think of shaping it. It's just to small and immature. I'd first grow a proper trunk. Put it in the ground to grow. They grow fast that way. Alternatively recess the pot in the ground so the roots can escape. You can take it out any time and put it upright. The roots will carry on as if nothing happened.
I think the benefits of shaping now is to avoid scars when mature and shape the trunk before it is too stiff and brittle.
But your comment is the main option now for me.
I cannot put in the ground but I am planning to repot it in larger pots every year.

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
Those are tough to wire, break easily, but can be done carefully. With those I personally do a clip and grow technique. Enjoy.
yes, for mature branches is almost impossible.
For younger ones, they seem preetly flexible, not sure if they will keep the shape after unwiring.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes you can wire them some, and they hold shape...if the wood is lignified. They do break easy so be mindful.

Top Bottom