Portulacaria afra, how much can they take?

Merfles

Seed
Reaction score
I snagged this baby from work today (only $23!), it came in with the big house palms and such, and was the only one. It's incredibly wobbly, top heavy, and seems to be way way too wet (the soil doesn't look ideal at all). I'd like to cut it into multiple sections, and repot, so I can play with it, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it. Would the bottom rooted section survive being cut AND repotted into better soil at the same time? Is it advisable/possible to try to cut and root large portions of something that thick? I've done tons of little cuttings over the years, but nothing this BIG. I've read on here to allow them to dry/harden, then pot and don't water until it starts pushing new growth, but I just need some reassurance that I won't murder the other sections haha. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20220318_064605.jpg
    20220318_064605.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220318_064610.jpg
    20220318_064610.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 52

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Chop it up! The bottom will be fine after pruned and repotted. I don't even bother letting the cuttings harden off, just stick them in some soil. I do wait to water until they show some growth.

Merfles

Seed
Reaction score
A few more pics.. Could I chop it at the two points I have my fingers at without issue? And that doesn't look like what it should be living in...

Attachments

• 20220318_115859.jpg
    20220318_115859.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220318_115925.jpg
    20220318_115925.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220318_115937.jpg
    20220318_115937.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 49

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
A few more pics.. Could I chop it at the two points I have my fingers at without issue? And that doesn't look like what it should be living in...
You could chop it anywhere you want, should be fine. I use Miracle-Gro cactus and succulent soil for mine. I know some use regular bonsai soil, but it seems like a waste of money.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Man, that’s really nice!

You can either do 3 sections or 4 depending on how much room you got on your bench. You can do as many or few as you want

You can repot the bottom. You can either let everything callous for a week, then plant, but only water after new growth, or nix the week wait and just plant in new soil, but still wait until new growth pushes before watering

Merfles

Seed
Reaction score
I'm looking at it, and that trunk is sooo long and straight, can I cut it down to where there's no foliage, or will it just croak without any leaves? If having the roots is enough to get it to produce more growth, I will definitely chop it close to the base! So much material to play with, this is crazy 🤪

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The only ways I know to stop P. afra is too much water or frost.
You can cut anywhere and it will laugh. Bare wood - no problem.
You can chop roots and it will laugh.
You can chop roots and prune the top and it will still laugh. P. afra never got the memo about 'one insult per season or year or whatever'
Any pieces will grow roots. Even if just dropped on the ground pieces are likely to take root.

Merfles

Seed
Reaction score
The only ways I know to stop P. afra is too much water or frost.
You can cut anywhere and it will laugh. Bare wood - no problem.
You can chop roots and it will laugh.
You can chop roots and prune the top and it will still laugh. P. afra never got the memo about 'one insult per season or year or whatever'
Any pieces will grow roots. Even if just dropped on the ground pieces are likely to take root.
This made me giggle!

Top Bottom