Portulacaria Afra in a @Sorce Pot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I scored a couple @sorce pots last time he auctioned them off here on the forum. When they were delivered, I discovered that he'd thrown in a couple freebies as well...a bud vase, and, well, this.

IMG_8483.jpg IMG_8484.jpg

I'm not sure if this is deep enough to qualify as a pot, but it's probably got too much of a lip to be considered a slab. Either way, I love it, it's awesome. I wasn't sure how I could use it, but I took it as a challenge to figure something out. I live in Southern California, so my climate is hot with no humidity, and dry breezes that tend to suck all the moisture out of the top layer of my pots. Which would be an issue with this one, since it's all top layer!

It struck me that a portulacaria afra was probably the best candidate and I happened to have one that I thought would be a good fit. It's a cutting I made a while back, and as it was growing in about an inch of potting soil and scoria it already had a relatively compact, shallow root system that I thought would adapt quite well to its new life in this pot.

Got the pot ready:

IMG_8489.jpg IMG_8491.jpg

Got the roots raked out and pruned to fit this shallow pot:

IMG_8486.jpg IMG_8485.jpg

Wired in and ready to grow:

IMG_8492.jpgIMG_8493.jpg

I haven't watered it yet. I'm gonna let it hang out in the shade for a week or so before moving it back to full sun and give it its first watering.

IMG_8496.jpg

Thanks for the pot, @sorce, I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man! I swear to God about 15 minutes ago I was thinking about these recent sendings. The brakes never squeak on this Karma train!

That was your freebie cuz its the only one I could fit in the box!

If this develops as nice as @just.wing.it 's, it will be grand in no time!

Thanks for sharing!

Sorce

Top Bottom