Portulacaria Afra, plant clippings from weak tree

Insect

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I had an issue where the pond water I was using for bonsai, was alkaline. It killed my P-Afra over a period of 6 months. When clipped the 3mm branches have water in them, the 8mm branches are green, but no water. Is it worth potting all of the branches off to try to make a tree from some of it? Photos of branches and tree below. Just trying to gauge if there is any hope in making a clipping reincarnation.
2nd question: How do the roots look in the root pic? Those were from repotting day 2 weeks ago, to my limited knowledge they look OK, but all leaves have dropped off now, it won't grow ( I set it in 90pct inorganic soil, to clear the calcified 50pct organic bonsai soil it lived in previously, I consider it dead unless you can convince me otherwise.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSC_5320_lr.jpg
    DSC_5320_lr.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_5323_lr.jpg
    DSC_5323_lr.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_5327_lr.jpg
    DSC_5327_lr.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 28

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They're tough, I would bet they will all be OK and grow. Don't water until you see some new growth.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed. Cacti and succuli as long as having solid green insides likely will root. Before giving any H2O must be allowed to dry out on cut end a week or two ;).

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure why you went this route. The plant with roots you show seems unhappy but certainly not so bad that you needed to chop it up.
I doubt that alkalinity is the culprit. I would look further for something else. Overwatering? Too little light? Spider mites?

Insect

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK, I will set the clippings today. Main 'tree' which is still potted, is getting a slight shrivel bark. I mix outdoor time and grow light arrangement, certainly not cooking it in my climate tho.
I would look further for something else. Overwatering? Too little light? Spider mites?
Insect/spider mite, etc, nope, I examined carefully. Overwatering, nah it was like 1x a week, draining nicely, not this one. Why not alkalinity of water? (Just trying to learn...) My Jaboticaba followed similar path, I was using spring fed pond water, found lots of white crust growing on pots, humidity trays, etc. like up to 1mm thick encrustments, that melt with vinegar. For now using AC condensate, thinking of making a gutter diverter. My well water (salted) and land water are really bad.

Anyhow I appreciate the responses, may update in a month if anything positive happens.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I water mine with water thats a ph of 8.0 and it grows crazy. I would also be cautious of AC condensate, as coils can have an anti rust coating or cosmolene that might leech into water.

Top Bottom