Portulacaria Afra - repotting and hardcutting

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 10/12-year-old portulacaria that needs some work. It is very vigorous and healthy.
I am planning to check the roots, pruning them if necessary, and repositioning the trunk that now it is too lean.
On top of that, I would like to remove a couple of massive branches that grew too thick and long (15-20 cm)
I am waiting for next spring to carry out these works, but do you think it would be safe to do repotting and hard cutting on the same day?
Or first one thing (maybe repotting) and then the other (maybe hard pruning) after a couple of weeks?
thanks!

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey mate. Yeah most definitely you can do hard cutting and repotting on the same day. It's a very hardy succulent...it's not a tropical. It grows naturally in very arid areas of Southern Africa. Because of it's hardyness it thrives in tropical areas to.

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks fredman,
not sure why I posted here and not in “new to bonsai”. would it be possible to move this post there?
any suggestion for the hard cutting? I read that it would be better to avoid concave cutting with portulacaria. is that true?

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I try to avoid cutting right to the trunk while cutting branches. At first it looks like a big green nub but it will dry up and come right off in a growing season. Sometimes I get new branches there but you can just cut to the callous again.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Make sure and take cuttings, they are ridiculously easy

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m not sure what temps are like there right now. Would it be better to do this work in spring or summer? During a season of active growth would be my recommendation. I have read not to water these after a repot until you see new growth.

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
I try to avoid cutting right to the trunk while cutting branches. At first it looks like a big green nub but it will dry up and come right off in a growing season. Sometimes I get new branches there but you can just cut to the callous again.
Hi, yes I will as you said. But I noticed that sometimes a nub can stay for years. I had one last year removed with the concave cutter because after 2 years it was still there.

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
Make sure and take cuttings, they are ridiculously easy
Yeap, as soon as I bought this bonsai, I started immediately to propagate its cuttings and soon I needed to stop because I did not have any more space. In 2 years I developed 16 saplings as the ones in the photo below. Sure I need to wait several years to try to shape as a bonsai but it is a very good beginner exercise for me.
20211205_143139.jpg

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
I’m not sure what temps are like there right now. Would it be better to do this work in spring or summer? During a season of active growth would be my recommendation. I have read not to water these after a repot until you see new growth.
Now it is winter here in UK. Although the bonsai is indoor, the light is not enough and its activity is very reduced. I am just planning for April, when it will go outside with plenty of light and good temp.

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
I posted some photos of my bonsai when I purchased it in 2019 (March) and now.
Last year I tried a slanting shape but the result was not so good and now it has overgrown several thick branches that I need to remove.
IMG_1271.JPG
20211205_143214.jpg

20211205_143032.jpg

Attachments

• 20211205_143032.jpg
    20211205_143032.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 22

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sometimes the nub will grow new branches too.
There is a look at old nubs left for die back at 2:30, 9:00 and around 10:00 minute marks.

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
Sometimes the nub will grow new branches too.
There is a look at old nubs left for die back at 2:30, 9:00 and around 10:00 minute marks.
Thanks for the video.
The nub that bothers me is that one on the first photo caused by the original trunk chop. I will try to remove by hand like in the video but if it is not possible, I will try with a concave cutter at least to reduce its dimension.

Antrox

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes I have some concerns. I would like to reduce it because now it is really unnatural.

When I tried with one on the lower part of the trunk, it went well. It was still very green and after the cut, several branches were growing. I have then removed then immediately and now it seems ok

Top Bottom