Portulacaria Afra tanuki bonsai?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
is it possible to shape a portulacaria afra (elephant bush/ spekboom) into a tanuki-style bonsai with driftwood? has anyone tried this? thoughts??

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Is it possible? Maybe. However like Shimpaku said, I've never seen one and the difference between the driftwood and the p. Afra is always going to be very noticeable. Part of the draw of good Tanuki is that you can't tell the difference between the growing tree and the driftwood. That will never happen with afra.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It really isn't practical. Portulacaria is not a true tree species. It is a succulent (cactus) that resembles a tree. There is no wood to speak of, or at least not in the sense of maples and oaks produce wood. Big succulents, like Saguaro cactus, Joshua Trees (yucca species) have treelike appearances or size, produce interior support "wood" as they age. When they die, they leave wooden ribs. Joshua trees leave velvet covered tree ish skeletons. Elephant bush-portulacaria--has woody interior support growth, but apparently it is not wood.

All this doesn't mean you can't try. Just saying it will be a challenge that makes no real sense when it comes to the species.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It could look interesting. Not a tanuki by definition (using driftwood to mimic a much larger shari/deadwood features of the same tree), but a port AF wrapped around a cool piece of deadwood?

why not.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm on team "why not?" here. It might not have ever been done, but to me that's interesting. And even it doesn't look "real", I bet it will look cool after a few years.

Portulacaria has proven itself time and time again to be a suitable candidate for our work, "true wood" or not...

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
FWIW, the OP asked about a TANUKI, not deadwood. Not the same thing.
I dont think anyone suggested that tanuki and deadwood are the same thing(or dead tissue since it isn't wood). the driftwood is meant to mimic the appearance of natural deadwood of the tree that it is attached to and/or the look of a much larger weathered trunk.

That being said, adding deadwood features to the port's trunk might help with blending the texture of the trunk with the driftwood that is being attached.

A fun experiment from a while back, a user carved up their port quite a bit. Looks more wood-like than the natural trunk's bark texture, IMO. Just a potential option.
0cf3b447-85a8-4d04-9041-344440384af2-jpeg.230056

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The main requirement here is that p. afra takes the shape that you give it and willingly grows into a space until it fills it, after which it then bulges out of that space to continue thickening. This is all equivalent to asking if it the species takes to wiring. P. afra does take to wiring. Cut a channel in the driftwood, secure a skinny p. afra trunk into that channel, put it in full outdoor sun and it’ll do the thing.

Top Bottom