Portulacaria afra - the poor man's bonsai

Reaction score
Two years ago, I went on vacation to the Canary Islands and I found a very large (and old?) P. afra in an outdoor shopping centre. I couldn't resist and took a little cutting (no more than two pairs of leaves ~ 3-4 cm). I wrapped it in moisten toilet paper and squeezed it in my bag. I few days later, at home, I grabbed the cutting and pot it... It grew amazingly well. I first let it grow unrestricted until I was happy with its girth. Then I started clip and grow. Having decided that I ma generally happy with its structure and that it only needs refinement now I decided to repot it into a 'proper' bonsai pot last weekend and here it is...
Hope you enjoy it. They grow really fast...
20180705-_GMM9738.jpg

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Looks great! My wife has one but she wont let me touch it.. Its horrible looking.. LOL

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks great. I took two cuttings from my moms house from her plant. She kind of butchered it, so I had to clean it up.

What type of soil are you using, and are you watering everyday?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I know they're not really considered bonsai, but they're fun. Made this little forest, just for kicks.. The pot is courtesy of @Soldano666 .

1st you did not include your pics. 2nd they absolutely can be bonsai!

Here are a few pics of some Jim Smith (now deceased) created.

jimsmith.jpg

main-qimg-a7158ecdcb9c2a99a8183d318d8359a9-c

20120821-104846.jpg

Reaction score
Looks great. I took two cuttings from my moms house from her plant. She kind of butchered it, so I had to clean it up.

What type of soil are you using, and are you watering everyday?
I used larger-sized scoria (lava rock) and a bit of pine bark. Now, it's been potted with a smaller-sized mixture of scoria, pumice and akadama...
No I do not water it everyday. In fact, I seldom do, maybe once a week, on average... Sometimes I only water when leaves start shriveling. Bare in mind that my climate is wet and humid most of the year and that these 'trees' like it dry.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice one. I never wired mine, but you've got to keep the scissor sharp. They keep budding from everywhere... specially where you don't want them to ;)

Thanks. Yes, I use some wire. As you know, got to keep an eye on it, or it will cut. And agree, they’ll bud anywhere!

ToddB

Seedling
Reaction score
Frankly, I've never really understood the "Portulacaria afra are unsuitable for bonsai" or "Portulacaria afra are not real bonsai" mindset.

Sure, they're are woody succulent and thus not considered bonsai material in the traditional Japanese sense, but that in no way diminishes their potential as a worthy addition to the Bonsai lexicon, especially in countries where climatic conditions are unsuitable for cultivating the standard northern hemisphere species one expects to see in more traditional circles. I think the late Jim Smith of Florida proved this negative mindset to be completely unwarranted. His specimens have as much artistic merit as anything I've seen in a pot, anywhere. Absolutely outstanding.

It all boils down to a matter of personal preference - that's it. I happen to dislike the overly-styled junipers with all the dead wood and perfectly shaped conical tops - I much prefer the naturalistic look - but I'd never say junipers were unsuitable subjects for bonsai...

The added bonus is that P. afra won't die if you forget to water them in hot weather - in fact they just grow faster.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom