Portulaccaria Afra “deadwood”

Todaru123

Sapling
Reaction score
Inspired by recent posts, I’m testing how much “deadwood” I can get on an Afra without killing it. This stump was an off cut I shoved into a pot a while back. It was growing nicely and as I have a few Afras already in progress I figured why not. It already had a significant amount of rot on one side which I dug out. I’ve also started chipping away at the other side. I’ll let it dry out and then dig a little deeper while encouraging branches to grow and fill out. If it works and I’m pretty sure it will, it will be a very nice little bonsai when the roots fill out and I lift it a little.
BEF6F179-67BB-4277-B073-9CB8C0044F57.jpeg26D2ADC5-8CA3-4246-9D6F-6AE9598D3AA9.jpeg28A52AA1-6249-468F-95FD-26B519C3D318.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe not such great idea. Most man made "dead" wood looks like crap until naturally aged and decayed for years.

JimmyBeefshank

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Portulaccaria Afra is a succulent and is not actually made of wood. The cellular structure of succulents is dependant on its water content to remain rigid and upright and quickly shrivels up and rots if damaged.

Todaru123

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes it’s not wood, but on very thick pieces they tend to rot, shrivel and callous over leaving for want of a better word a hard scab. They will continue to sprout around shrivelled areas resulting in a “deadwood” effect.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great! The world needs more potatoes with leaves.

Top Bottom