Portulaccaria Bonsai Progression

Todaru123

Sapling
Reaction score
Great time of year for this humble bonsai. Moving into summer and they are going nuts! But need to keep on top of them to stop them getting leggy and to increase ramification. Cuttings now into second year and well on the way to becoming pretty decent trees. I know lots of bonsai enthusiasts don’t consider them to be bonsai, but they’re really good fun, can take heaps of punishment and are pretty cool to look at. Love to see some photos from others!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Todaru123

Sapling
Reaction score
Oh and have just started working on this monster! We’re pretty lucky in Melbourne Australia as image.jpgthey were very popular in gardens in the 1960s and 70s, so there are quite a few big ones around. Typically older folk, and usually really happy to let you take some big cuttings when you tell them why😀

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
very popular in gardens in the 1960s and 70s, so there are quite a few big ones around.
I noticed this when I stayed a few months in Melbourne some 2 years ago. Around St Kilda a lot of the properties have monsters in their yard!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One been working a few years with a not often seen descending branch....

DSC00500.JPG
DSC00501.JPG

don't fret...the photo's get worse!! Some "in-situ"....
DSC00498.JPG
yep...growin' some clover! Seems to need more water than you would figure. But, soil is pretty much rocks and pebbles.....
'16....
DSC01333.JPG

...some from a nursery crawl.....
DSC00880 (1).JPG

DSC00881 (1).JPG

DSC00882 (1).JPG

Top Bottom