Portulcaria price estimation

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to sell my Portulcaria but have no idea what price to put on it as i've never bought nor sold a bonsai. There also isn't that big a market here in NZ, and that might have an influence...I suppose.
I'll appreciate it if you people can put an estimated value what you think it's worth.
It stands 600mm high with a spread of 800mm. The base is 90mm. Age is minimum 25yrs.
I took this photos last year after I repotted and trimmed it. The canopy has filled up a bit since. African umbrella (Pierneef) style.
Thank you.
Screenshot_20210926-220315~2.png

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It was always up to you anyway.
Too cold for those here so I have taken no interest in them or what they may be worth. Value is very dependent on supply and demand which is so different according to location which is why I guess you have had no help so far.
All I can suggest is work out what you would be happy to get for it and see if any buyers agree with you.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
It's really dependent on where you live. I know you mentioned you live in NZ but I have no idea what these go for there. Here in California I'd think that tree would be $60-75 USD at a nursery. Portulacaria grow very easily here so they're not very expensive for a 3.5 inch (90mm) base.
In colder parts of the USA they might go for double that or more.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You could always go the auction route; let the consumer tell you what it's worth to them. After a few experiences doing that, you'll have a decent idea what your local market will find value in.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd put a price on it (I'd think $70 would be a decent starting point) and see what happens. You say there isn't much of a bonsai market in NZ, so it's hard to tell what someone would pay. It's not a "typical" bonsai subject and has a distinct African style. It's not a "classical" bonsai that is going to have the wider appeal that say, a pine or maple would have...

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you everybody.
Yeah come to think of it, it's self-explanatory actually. A bonsai is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
For the first time i'm actually really coming to think about what they're worth...and it's a bit of an eye opener for me. It was never in my mind to let them go...but I have to. I have to many trunks built and not enough time to give the proper development attention...going into the next stage.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That's a nice tree! I wouldn't accept $75 for it but that's me. I think it could be worth more than that.

I'm no expert... but I see much more expensive trees that are not nearly as nice looking as this one.

Do a google search for similar ones and see what they go for. I just did a quick search and there are lesser ones for $150 and some of those are still in nursery pots.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’d contact a bonsai club in NZ for advice. Certainly there must be some in the large cities.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d contact a bonsai club in NZ for advice. Certainly there must be some in the large cities.
Yes there is quite a few bonsai clubs all over NZ. I just choose to not join a club...no specific reason. I just love trees and playing with them on my own.
I contacted a guy that's active in the bonsai society here. He said he's never seen one sold as bonsai...actually not seen one done as bonsai either.
So yeah i'll just put it up online here and see how it does...only way to find out.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a nice tree! I wouldn't accept $75 for it but that's me. I think it could be worth more than that.

I'm no expert... but I see much more expensive trees that are not nearly as nice looking as this one.

Do a google search for similar ones and see what they go for. I just did a quick search and there are lesser ones for $150 and some of those are still in nursery pots.
My gut feeling is $250. It's worth more to me, but that's not what counts.
Thing is it grows very fast in a warmer climate, but where I am it grows painstakingly slow. The poor thing reminds me of the spruce trees in Alaska. It literally grows for a few weeks then stalls...every year since I had it...10 yrs. It's always been in this climate according to the guy I got it from. It was in a pot outside, and grew in plain garden soil. It must be very old for it to have got to this size in this climate.
It needs to get up country where it's warmer for it to grow to it's potential.
The plan is to put it up online on our auction/second hand goods site and present it with a write up...telling it's story. We'll see what happens. I'm very sure it'll sell to the right person in time.
It needs to go. It's to big for me to handle, and i'm worried it'll get weaker because of it's slow growth.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
There seems to quite a demand here in UK for indoor bonsai since Covid - mostly from new starters.
Big Jade trees also seem popular in Chinese take away restuarants and Fish and chip shop waiting areas !
In that pot my guesstimate here would be starting at £60.- £80
Good luck! I would be interested if you were local!!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Office plant outlets and second hand plant stores (yes, those exist since a couple years) ask about €10-20 for an old specimen.

So, it's up to you. Portulcaria is a very, very common houseplant.. So I wouldn't say it can/should be sold for a bonsai price. Like ficus benjamina, they're such a common good that I find it very hard to think what would be acceptable.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There seems to quite a demand here in UK for indoor bonsai since Covid - mostly from new starters.
Big Jade trees also seem popular in Chinese take away restuarants and Fish and chip shop waiting areas !
In that pot my guesstimate here would be starting at £60.- £80
Good luck! I would be interested if you were local!!
Thanks mate. Here in NZ the fish and chips shops have Jade (Crassula ovata) as display to.
I have a few of those around the house. They don't work well as bonsai though.

Top Bottom