Possible akadama replacement?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guys...
One last thing: remember the root ball? And I said make the bottom smooth? That's because we don't want downward growing roots. So, if there are no feeder roots sticking into the new soil, the new soil is so open, the roots think they are growing into "air", and don't grow. That's ok, we want outward growing roots. I suspect that those who report that their trees didn't like akadama or an open bonsai mix didn't tease out feeder roots properly.

This trident maple grows so hard each year that it has to be repotted yearly. The roots grow so hard that it literally tries to push the tree out of the pot. The roots grow so thick that they spin around the pot so many times that they begin growing out of the pot. Imagine that, they grow right into thin air!

I tie my trees in training into shallow pots very tight and without soil on the bottom of the pot. It's not necessary to have soil there, remember it's not necessary to have any soil in the pot. I do this to spread the trunk and root system much like planting on a tile, except I can do it in a pretty pot. It does this because there is no soil there. It's rock solid pot there. The roots have no choice but to grow sideways. I control where the roots grow not how they meander looking for water. I don't care if they look for water as long as they do it sideways. The roots at the end of the season are literally about a 3/4 inch thick matt with absolutely no soil in them. Just roots on the bottom of the pot growing in air with no soil. How does it do it?

DSC_00650001.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_00690005.JPG

DSC_00700006.JPG

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, 5 mm silica based gravel and aged compost,
30 years later - checked the cores - only fine feeder roots.
Nothing to smash, as gravel goes.
Compost becomes beads of water holding inorganic material.

No soil to wash out, and the pie shaped removal technique
handles cleaning out the core.

Cost factor = very little.

Plants remain LUSH and can be trained every 10 years for
a major exhibition.

Plus we have a mountain range of sea hardened clay, and
tests show 5 mm particles very durable.
Porous and freely draining.

If a simple soil mix can do this and the organic provides
microbes, why would one want to fuel the Japanese
economy ?
Additionally, marbles and leca work as well.

The real problem I believe is those temperature jumps
into the 100 deg. F for long periods.
Our sunlight is certainly more intense, paint tested in Arizona
and Florida fails down here.
Good Day
Anthony

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plants remain LUSH and can be trained every 10 years for
a major exhibition.

I got to do better than that. How long you think I'm gonna live?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,

when we asked years ago, that was what the Chinese and
Japanese replied with.

BUT I have been watching your work for a while now.

I don't think you have any problems exhibiting and
winning awards every year.
For us, just doing the hobby is enough.
Good Day
Anthony ------------- back to weeding :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,

when we asked years ago, that was what the Chinese and
Japanese replied with.

BUT I have been watching your work for a while now.

I don't think you have any problems exhibiting and
winning awards every year.
For us, just doing the hobby is enough.
Good Day
Anthony ------------- back to weeding :)
Ha ha

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Smoke, I think you are misinterpreting what I was trying to say. Taking the words too literally.

Colanders, work on the principle that the roots hit air and dry out.

Those fancy contraptions you pictured aren’t growing bonsai. I’m sure they a very robust misting system to keep those exposed roots moist.

Ficus trees will develop “air roots” that can start from high up and reach down to the soil, but it’s must be VERY humid.

About your trees planted on pots with no soil under them: let’s see you do that with nothing on top! The soil layer on top retains water and keeps the roots from drying out. I suppose you could do it with a misting system.

But, really...

What is the point of your post? To try to belittle me with some word twisting?

I think you are just jealous that I have applied what I have learned from my teacher Boon, and have developed some nice bonsai. And I share those techniques here.

You must feel that somehow I have taken away your status of “bonsai guru” or something. You seem to feel that unless one experiments on your own to develop a technique that somehow it’s not valid. I don’t feel that way. Learning from others is far more efficient.

For some reason you age a grudge against me,my teacher, and his methods. I have no idea why. But you are not doing yourself any favors by attacking me. I have received many PM’s asking me why you act the way you do towards me, and I have to say that I have no idea.

I come to this forum to discuss bonsai and share techniques and experiences. Not to belittle people. Which seems to be your primary objective.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, I think you are misinterpreting what I was trying to say. Taking the words too literally.

Those fancy contraptions you pictured aren’t growing bonsai. I’m sure they a very robust misting system to keep those exposed roots moist.

Ficus trees will develop “air roots” that can start from high up and reach down to the soil, but it’s must be VERY humid.

About your trees planted on pots with no soil under them: let’s see you do that with nothing on top! The soil layer on top retains water and keeps the roots from drying out. I suppose you could do it with a misting system.

But, really...

I think you are just jealous that I have applied what I have learned from my teacher Boon, and have developed some nice bonsai. And I share those techniques here.

You must feel that somehow I have taken away your status of “bonsai guru” or something. You seem to feel that unless one experiments on your own to develop a technique that somehow it’s not valid. I don’t feel that way. Learning from others is far more efficient.

For some reason you age a grudge against me,my teacher, and his methods. I have no idea why. But you are not doing yourself any favors by attacking me. I have received many PM’s asking me why you act the way you do towards me, and I have to say that I have no idea.

I come to this forum to discuss bonsai and share techniques and experiences. Not to belittle people. Which seems to be your primary objective.
No, not at all
I have taken your words literally because thats the way you expressed them. You said roots won't grow into air. I say they will given the right conditions. there is a difference. My beef is more your matter of fact way of saying things. You leave no room for anything. even going so far as explaining how the roots feel with soil particles and being able to feel them. I have trees sitting on my bench with roots growing right out of the bottom of the container searching for water in mid air with absolutely nothing to support them. I know you know this too.

I have to go to work now but I will come back to this. It is important.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You answer your own question by adding drying out. Of course that's the reason. So conversely, it wouldn't work if the roots stayed moist right? They may grow to the edge of the colander and grow right back into the soil like they do around the rim of my pot, but they do grow into air.

I have twisted nothing. You said this. This is your quote. Explain how I twisted your words or how words mean things right now in Singapore?

When this root ball is set in the pot on bonsai soil, and the new soil is back filled around, the roots hanging out will be in the new soil. Chopstick LIGHTLY to make sure the soil surrounds the roots so that there are no major air pockets. Roots don't grow into air. They will, however, quickly grow into an open soil mix, if they can "feel" soil particles around them.

Read them a couple times and think what someone that was not very savvy about growing plants would think about the whole feeling soil particles thing? Are you meaning to say that roots have feelings and can sense soil around them. Can they also tell if someone has used akadama or humus. Lava or pumice? Is there a way to have the plant just tell me what it likes best for soil. Thats the way you worded it. If that's not your meaning than maybe you could correct this with a few sentences on what you really mean from a scientific point of view and not a touchy feeley point of view. If your going to stand by this nonsense than its truly you that has the problem not me. Words mean things!!

Top Bottom