Possible Failed Maple chop

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I chopped a trident maple growing in the ground several weeks ago. I did it when buds were swelling. New buds began to form but they turned brown.

I think my timing was fine, I followed the same protocol and had no issues with a Korean hornbeam, Japanese maple and crabapple.

could it be weather? We got nighttime temps in the low 40s for a few nights.

Could it be slugs? Ive see them on the trunks in the morning.

many other thoughts?
Thanks
Ridley

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We're the later-brown buds present at the chop time?

Slugs.

Sorce

Reactions: Rid

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Give the tree time. The buds developing, then turning brown does not sound good at all. There are several diseases of maples, like anthracnose, and a few others that can attack through wounds. Did you seal your cut immediately? Was the cutting tool clean of sap from other trees?

Now there is little to do that would help, except wait. Sometimes a tree can come around, as much as 2 or 3 months after the cut. But right now the prognosis is not good.

Reactions: Rid

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We're the later-brown buds present at the chop time?

Slugs.

Sorce
Good question. That is a possibility, as I didn’t look very closely before chopping.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Give the tree time. The buds developing, then turning brown does not sound good at all. There are several diseases of maples, like anthracnose, and a few others that can attack through wounds. Did you seal your cut immediately? Was the cutting tool clean of sap from other trees?

Now there is little to do that would help, except wait. Sometimes a tree can come around, as much as 2 or 3 months after the cut. But right now the prognosis is not good.
Thanks Leo. I did seal it. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just went to go check on my stumps, and this guy was burrowing into the side of the Trident maple, what is it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 89

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've actually had mixed results chopping tridents during spring bud swell... sometimes they do ok and other times they'll callus the chop wound but don't push any new buds or actually turn slimy and die back to the roots- read this as an introduced pathogen. I suspect an energy deficit is to blame, as much of the tree's energy is present in the upper trunk/branching when the tree is chopped. At this point, I'm more likely to chop mid/late winter- before they push- or mid summer, after they've been growing for a few months. With that being said, there's nothing for you to do but wait... if no buds in the next 2-3 months- basically mid summer, or the bark begins to darken or shrivel, you'll have your answer.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've actually had mixed results chopping tridents during spring bud swell... sometimes they do ok and other times they'll callus the chop wound but don't push any new buds or actually turn slimy and die back to the roots- read this as an introduced pathogen. I suspect an energy deficit is to blame, as much of the tree's energy is present in the upper trunk/branching when the tree is chopped. At this point, I'm more likely to chop mid/late winter- before they push- or mid summer, after they've been growing for a few months. With that being said, there's nothing for you to do but wait... if no buds in the next 2-3 months- basically mid summer, or the bark begins to darken or shrivel, you'll have your answer.
Thanks Dave, that makes sense to me.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Came here to say this.

I have had 100% success chopping mid summer/ after first flush hardens.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just went to go check on my stumps, and this guy was burrowing into the side of the Trident maple, what is it?
That is a Xyleborus, AKA Ambrosia beetle, AKA shothole borer. From your image it is hard to tell, but I’m pretty sure.

They are attracted to stressed trees. I just found them on a palmatum of mine and I treated the tree,(and all the others) but they showed up in such force that I may have lost the tree.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I chopped a trident maple growing in the ground several weeks ago. I did it when buds were swelling. New buds began to form but they turned brown.

I think my timing was fine, I followed the same protocol and had no issues with a Korean hornbeam, Japanese maple and crabapple.

could it be weather? We got nighttime temps in the low 40s for a few nights.

Could it be slugs? Ive see them on the trunks in the morning.

many other thoughts?
Thanks
Ridley
Did the three make it?

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did the three make it?
Nope. I lost a Korean hornbeam and a trident this spring. A crabapple and Japanese maple chop by the same method were successful. To the best of my knowledge, I chopped all when the buds started to swell. I’ll be following dav4 s advice provided earlier in this thread in the future.

Top Bottom