Possible ID for pine?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I know it is a long shot but hoping some of you can help with ID for a couple of pines I've found down here. I can't give any natural range to work with as all pines here have been imported however these have naturalized in a sub-alpine ski resort area in our mountains where it contends with snow for 3-6 months of the year at 1500m (about 4,500 ft).
I have tried working through the pine keys but I don't understand all the terms used to differentiate so got nowhere pretty fast with that.

Tree 1 is a 2 needle species. This one is the largest left after the area was cleared of 'weeds' a few years ago.
IMGP1635.JPGIMGP1636.JPGIMGP1637.JPGIMGP1638.JPGIMGP1639.JPGIMGP1640.JPG
These are some of the seedlings that are germinating all through the area.
IMGP1641.JPGIMGP1642.JPGIMGP1643.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are also some more mature specimens in the township area which I'm pretty confident is the same species or at least closely related.
Bark has shallow cracks rather than 'plates' which could eliminate some species.
As mentioned, these could originate from Europe, US or Asia as they are not native here.

IMGP1680.JPGIMGP1681.JPGIMGP1682.JPGIMGP1683.JPGIMGP1684.JPGIMGP1685.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
ID for the second species will be even more unlikely as i only saw a couple of small seedlings growing on a ski run. It's a 5 needle species but other than that there's little to go on as I cannot locate any mature trees for shape or cones.
Any help gratefully received.

IMGP1485.JPGIMGP1486.JPGIMGP1487 - Copy.JPG

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mugo mughus can be prostate, has tiny cones and very little rough bark. But they don't get this tall.

Banksiana is known to produce tiny cones and tiny seeds as well. But they are also known to have tiny needles and express a yellowish color.

On the second one I have no clue.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First one possibly Lodgepole Pine. No idea on second one;).

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I know it is a long shot but hoping some of you can help with ID for a couple of pines I've found down here. I can't give any natural range to work with as all pines here have been imported however these have naturalized in a sub-alpine ski resort area in our mountains where it contends with snow for 3-6 months of the year at 1500m (about 4,500 ft).
I have tried working through the pine keys but I don't understand all the terms used to differentiate so got nowhere pretty fast with that.

Tree 1 is a 2 needle species. This one is the largest left after the area was cleared of 'weeds' a few years ago.
View attachment 348614View attachment 348615View attachment 348616View attachment 348617View attachment 348618View attachment 348619
These are some of the seedlings that are germinating all through the area.
View attachment 348620View attachment 348621View attachment 348622
The cone look like a scott pine cone, and the needles of the 3 last pics look like scott pine too.
The bark & needles of the 5 first pics look like mugo pine or uncinata pine.
It is possible to have an hybridation between scotts pine & uncinata.. or scotts pine & mugo pine.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
ID for the second species will be even more unlikely as i only saw a couple of small seedlings growing on a ski run. It's a 5 needle species but other than that there's little to go on as I cannot locate any mature trees for shape or cones.
Any help gratefully received.

View attachment 348630View attachment 348631View attachment 348632
The short size of the needles makes me exclude the pinus strobus.
I would say pinus flexilis or pinus cembra

Top Bottom