Possible 'Incomplete' Dormancy for Desert Rose

Reaction score
I have two Desert Roses - A. Obesum, together in one pot. One is quite a bit bigger than the other. The smaller one started losing leaves, while the big plant's foliage remained perfectly intact. I was wondering how this occurred in identical soil and light. Then I thought the small plant must be going into dormancy, the only explanation I could think of being that it was more susceptible to a cold snap than the bigger Rose. Could this be the case? I just checked the roots, and they seem perfectly healthy, both the same. Is it possible the small Rose went partially into dormancy, just losing a portion of its foliage, if that occurs?

Okay so my question is, simply, should the smaller leaves with some leaves shed be kept in full sun? Does the answer hinge on any of the following factors: the species, the fact that about half foliage remains (should I wait to see if it continues shedding), the temperature, or the time throughout the day exposed to full sun? Thanks in advance, for your perspectives...

Last edited:

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The simple answer is that an established desert rose should be in full sun all the time.
I have several in pots but i don’t use any bonsai techniques on them or anything. Outside in full sun all year. The only care I ever give them is water 2-3 times a winter because it almost never rains. Sometimes they have no leaves. Sometimes the leaves are yellow. Sometimes I even consider giving them away because I think maybe they need more attention. But then they bloom and they look great so I keep them.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have tried to grow these twice, and they were both imported and very expensive for my budget. They both achieved full and permanent dormancy. :(
The first one rotted due to excessive rainfall. The second one succumbed to lack of water during winter. I was told not to water it until spring and that didn't work.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Killed one, tried to save a friends and killed it, had a smaller one in miracle grow cactus mix that grew well last year in a grow pot before I realized how bad that was, that’s actually still seeming strong despite a mid winter repot into pumice/lava due to my setup - it was growing strongly when I did it. I need to learn more about them before I assume the dormancy period isn’t a feature rather than a bug.

I had tried a pumice mix previously but it seemed to dry out in the summer even with daily watering…. Pot very light so I don’t think the pumice was holding much moisture, plant seeming happy right after watering and withered before the next…. That’s when I put it into the Miracle Grow Cactus mix.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I got a larger one as well recently. That and this one will be my final attempts.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am finding this thread so interesting. I don’t have any large desert rose but have grown around 50+ of them from seed in recent years. I kept only 2 from the last seed batches. One is 1.5 years old and the other just turned 1 So they are still relatively small but nicely plump.
I watered maybe once between September and January. I’ve never researched how to care for them but have just cared for them via observation, for example I look at the caudex fatness and condition to determine when they might need water.
The both dropped most of their leaves in their first winters but this was true for all the seedlings until approximately mid January when new growth began to generate.

I am very intrigued as to what challenges I might face further down the line!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with mine. It does drop it's leaves in the winter but has started growing out again already. I water maybe once a week or so in the winter. Every other day in the summer or more if it's really hot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have 3 adeniums. They each have there own leaf habits & flower timing. Two still have a few leaves, one lost there’s two months ago. I don’t water in winter, keep them out of the rain. I start watering when they push buds. When in doubt, don’t water.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
for example I look at the caudex fatness and condition to determine when they might need water.

people saying stuff this like is what confuses me, because that’s what I had done with the one I was seeing success with.

Its just that I was seeing success by carefully monitoring miracle grow cactus mix, which sounds like a death sentence in the long run.

I think learning more deeply how pumice holds water vs something like an akadama is something I need to learn better, as I feel like I under water the JBP seedlings from @Eric Schrader due to the pot weight. I may just not be thinking of the substrate in the right way.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use something called Seramis over here, there is no soil in it. It’s a slightly water retaining gravel-like granule that allows for really great drainage to avoid “soggy bottoms” while also aesthetically pleasing . I use it in all my succulents and constantly recommend it when friends ask for cactus/succulent substrate advice.

068BD2E6-A928-48D6-9570-F84530843509.jpeg

I’m sure the US will have something similar possibly under another brand name.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
ts just that I was seeing success by carefully monitoring miracle grow cactus mix, which sounds like a death sentence in the long run.
That's what mine is in as well as all of my P.afras and jade. I've had the desert rose for years.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I bought one..

Shipped from Florida in the dead of winter (REAL stupid!)... it struggled.. then recovered.. but limped...

Then began to rot.. then I saved a "section"..

Then got knocked under a table and forgot...

Then, weeks later, I see my cat playing with this weird big dried, cashew-looking .."thing"...

It seems HE was more successful with it.

🤪

I think they are so pretty.. and feel this one didn't get a "fair swing"... but I have to be SUPER selective about plants that need my indoors attention/utilities...

Aaaand I'd rather just get More and varying sorts of Ficus and Pomegranate .. 🤓

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's what mine is in as well as all of my P.afras and jade. I've had the desert rose for years.

Yeah, at some point it's just what works for you I think. I could see myself going back to it if I can't figure out why the pumice/lava feels weird to me the way I currently water.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a feeling that the imported ones I had from Thailand probably never got over the change of conditions.
Embarrassed to admit that mine was a $9.88 Wal-mart special years ago.

Top Bottom