Possible 'Incomplete' Dormancy for Desert Rose

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if adenium NEEDS a dormancy--or its dormant period is completely different from temperate zone plants. It is a native of sub-Saharan Africa and Arabia. Not much of a winter in those places. There are, however, dry an wet seasons. Adenium is a desert plant, many desert plants have a summer dormancy to get through the worst of the heat and drought.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This isn't adenium. It's draceana. Adenium is an "understory" tree to these on the island.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang! Rockm!

Your on your game today!

View attachment 418403
Not really. I am familiar with the Dragon's Blood draceana from nerdy tree books. It's a remarkable "tree" in its own right. It's where "Cinnabar" originated, from its red sap--hence the name. It's related to the draceana plants sold at Home Depot.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not really. I am familiar with the Dragon's Blood draceana from nerdy tree books. It's a remarkable "tree" in its own right. It's where "Cinnabar" originated, from its red sap--hence the name. It's related to the draceana plants sold at Home Depot.
Cooool!

Jack Kramer discusses Draceana and Adenium TOGETHER.. so that makes sense!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
So I'm confused. What is the best soil for Adeniums? I've kept mine alive for almost 20 years and it flowers but its always been in plain old potting soil.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This isn't adenium. It's draceana. Adenium is an "understory" tree to these on the island.

Yes but it is a very cool tree!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So I'm confused. What is the best soil for Adeniums? I've kept mine alive for almost 20 years and it flowers but its always been in plain old potting soil.
I don't think they are too picky as long as they don't stay too wet.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B

Yes Dracaena cinnabari, cousin species to the Dracaena we have in the Canary islands; Dracaena draco, commonly called Dragon trees or Drago in spanish

Drago milenario, in the north of Tenerife near were I live
49420211838_996c2710c6_b.jpg

Top Bottom