Possible juniper purchase - styling suggestion

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Andy Smith has a collected common juniper and I'm intrigued. Before I get into something like this I'd like some input on a possible design. This seems to want to be an informal upright with a fairly exposed bottom trunk (maybe some small jin).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think you are definitely headed in the right direction. I like the deadwood sticking out of the top of the canopy. I agree the foliage should be top heavy - though maybe not QUITE as wide as in your pic.

A somewhat shallow, round pot would look great.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Design looks spot on to me. Second the tightening up of the apex as advised.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I wonder if you wouldn't grow to hate that base??????????

I think I would.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I wonder if you wouldn't grow to hate that base??????????

I think I would.

I think I might agree with jkl. However, if you could raise the soil line up the the radical bend and make it look like it is nebari, it might be ok. However, the deadwood might rot if it is underneath the soil for a long time. Just something to consider.

Rob

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don't like it.

I have collected out in that part of the country, and common junipers grow in a thicket, low and spreading. It looks like this one was stood up, 90 degrees toward the left, which is why the base is goofy looking. They grow up about 6-8" then splay outward in all directions. If it was tilted back to the right as a slant or cascade even, it could be convincing. I've also read they are not compliant bonsai subjects.

Dario

Seedling
Reaction score
Just a guess, but judging by the size of the container it is in and the fact that it is planted over to the RHS of the pot, it may have a large root under the soil that travels a fair distance to the LHS of the container.
This may not be the case, but I would enquire about it anyway. Even if it is the case the situation can be over come but I would still like to know one way or another before purchasing.
Cheers, Dario.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to agree with Brian. This doesnt appeal to me either.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks for input

I appreciate the honest opinions. I have decided not to purchase this juniper (for various reasons).

Top Bottom