Reaction score
USDA Zone
May go out to my dad's property and look around for something more suitable

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it's either gonna be dug up and played with or tossed to avoid mowing around

Yeah, I get it, but it's a lot like the advice I give parents who want to start out their kids in guitar lessons. Don't buy a folk guitar with nylon strings. They are a pain to keep in tune and kids won't keep it in tune and then they don't want to practice on a bad sounding guitar.

The trees we bring home cost us time, energy, and at some point there are projects we bring home that just drag you down and steal the fun. 5 years ago I got rid of 30 crappy little trees. Best move of my bonsai hobby so far. If it doesn't really inspire you other than that "it's free", I say let it go. If it really does inspire you, dig it up. Either way it will be more fun if the material sparks your interest. Over time, that inspiration will be changed radically.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only reason for my suggestion was because you said you were not too invested in it and was just looking for something to mess with to cure winter boredom. If your expectations are something greater than you should pass on it as fourteener stated.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I appreciate the help at the moment I'm Trying to get watering and fertilizing down and I know I will, and have, made mistakes. I've been treating each failure as a lesson.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with fourteener, and I meant no offense before. But when I was getting going, I dug up a lot of stuff I didn't care about, and it never held my interest. But it cost me man hours, soil, space, and a few minutes of watering a day

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll probably go out and look for something more suitable in a rural area. Kinda just want to try collecting rough material and see if I can keep something alive for the experience.

Random User

Reaction score
"I'll probably go out and look for something more suitable in a rural area."

Good thinking, IMHO.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't even try digging it up. If it has to go spray some agent orange on it and walk away.
This thing would be a bitch to dig up if it was worth it.

Top Bottom