possible root rot

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
so I just moved to central PA and my japanese maple started wilting. I thought it might be the change in environment or possible under watering. I then looked closer and within the moss there was algae growing so I think I might be over watering it. I use a mix of lava rock and potting soil. Should I repot? Do you think it can pull through? What do you guys recommend?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
STOP watering when the soil is damp.

I'll outline the chopstick method again:

Keep a piece of a chopstick jammed into the soil. Remove it daily. Feel the dirty end. If it is cool (damp) DO NOT WATER. If it is dry, WATER -- preferably from the top, like rain.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hmmmmmmmmm, I live on the other side of the Poconos but I might be able to help solve your dilemma as I have moved from NY to Pa some years ago and recently did a short move to a new location here in PA. What Maple is it exactly? How long have you had it? How old or big is it? What is your water and fertilizer schedule? Any chance I can see a picture? Without that info I can tell you a few things that will help either way...

Move it to a semi shaded area.
Stop the water for three days.
DO NOT fertilize.

Grimmy

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Potting soil tends to decompose and wash out of the drainage screen when used with a hard dry aggregate in a bonsai pot and create a dry spot,more so in their second season.
I learned that the hard way.Primarily with bonsai pots.Works fine in colanders though.
If you have to use potting soil in a bonsai pot to make watering easier while you work or in winter or whatever, you may stand a chance mixing it with soft akadama since it will hold water better in the second growing season.
Again,with bonsai pots.
This happened to me and did not kill my tree,though in the second year without repotting ,some of the tree was taking stress.And when I re-potted this spring I seen the rather large dry spot around the drainage holes and dyna rok.

Last edited:

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
so I just moved to central PA and my japanese maple started wilting. I thought it might be the change in environment or possible under watering. I then looked closer and within the moss there was algae growing so I think I might be over watering it. I use a mix of lava rock and potting soil. Should I repot? Do you think it can pull through? What do you guys recommend?

..within which moss?

Best,
Dorothy

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmm, I live on the other side of the Poconos but I might be able to help solve your dilemma as I have moved from NY to Pa some years ago and recently did a short move to a new location here in PA. What Maple is it exactly? How long have you had it? How old or big is it? What is your water and fertilizer schedule? Any chance I can see a picture? Without that info I can tell you a few things that will help either way...

Move it to a semi shaded area.
Stop the water for three days.
DO NOT fertilize.

Grimmy

i dont know the exact type of japanese maple. ive had it since last winter and its been doing fine since i repotted it before bud break. i just watered it when the top looked dry but i think its still pretty damp under. i dont have a pic because i removed the dry wilted leaves and rinsed the root ball in hydrogen peroxide. i threw away the soil and used a better draining soil without the potting mix.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
i dont know the exact type of japanese maple. ive had it since last winter and its been doing fine since i repotted it before bud break. i just watered it when the top looked dry but i think its still pretty damp under. i dont have a pic because i removed the dry wilted leaves and rinsed the root ball in hydrogen peroxide. i threw away the soil and used a better draining soil without the potting mix.

This might sound a bit odd but do yourself and the tree a favor... Do not mess with it anymore;) You just did a root rinse, out of season repot, and substrate change all in one sitting. I understand your concern and honest the tree NEEDS rest and recovery now. Put it in semi-shade and water it daily if that is free draining substrate. Avoid fertilizer for at least a week and when you do try a 1/2 dose for starters. Anymore attention at this point will do more harm then good. As to the original problem now that you have given us more details it seems to me you may have been actually not watering it enough prior to the problem. That is just a guess but the way I see it.

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And if you still have moss on the soil, remove it asap, this could be part of the problem.

Top Bottom