Possible suiseki?

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would anybody consider this stone to be able to be considered a suiseki? I see a mountain with melting snow on top with a stream running down the side from the snow melt.
20180504_131346.jpg
20180504_131340.jpg
20180504_131402.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty subjective question. The answer is "do YOU see it as a suiseki?"

To me, I don't really see what you're talking about other than the inclusion of lighter rock at the tip of the stone. I, however, miss many of the subtle stuff when it comes to stones. I don't see what many see in some well-known suiseki...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree....if you see it...

I have a similar piece with the image of a Hindu God and an elephant.

Limestone?

Sorce

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's pretty subjective question. The answer is "do YOU see it as a suiseki?"

To me, I don't really see what you're talking about other than the inclusion of lighter rock at the tip of the stone. I, however, miss many of the subtle stuff when it comes to stones. I don't see what many see in some well-known suiseki...
I guess you're right, it is pretty subjective. I just figured there's probably "rules" that determine whether a stone can or can't be called a suiseki. Not just because I see something in it. There was a club meeting a while back on suiseki, I should've taken notes. I agree that with some suiseki it can be hard to see what others see in it though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Rules? In a knife fight?"

Sorry --couldn't help but quote a line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...A guy said that right before Paul Newman (Butch Cassidy) kicked him square in the nuts...Brutally illustrates the "if it works, it works" school of thought in bonsai and probably suiseki...Rules work, but they're not set in stone. listening to others is great, but see what YOU can see before discounting stuff.

For those of you too young to know...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At first glance of the first picture, I see a vague representation of a horse head...

Having said that there is an abstract shapes category called chusho-seki, still a viewing stone. :)

Grimmy

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
"Rules? In a knife fight?"

Sorry --couldn't help but quote a line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...A guy said that right before Paul Newman (Butch Cassidy) kicked him square in the nuts...Brutally illustrates the "if it works, it works" school of thought in bonsai and probably suiseki...Rules work, but they're not set in stone. listening to others is great, but see what YOU can see before discounting stuff.

For those of you too young to know...
I realize rules aren't set in stone. Which is why I had the word in quotations. The first thing I went to school for was photography (not that my quick snapshots posted here show it). If there's anything I learned it's that while arts have their rules, breaking those rules at times is highly encouraged if it works. With no experience with suiseki I figure it best to check anyways though.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
At first glance of the first picture, I see a vague representation of a horse head...

Having said that there is an abstract shapes category called chusho-seki, still a viewing stone. :)

Grimmy
A horse head huh? Interesting. I guess it's like seeing something in a cloud. You may see one thing but someone else may see something entirely different or nothing at all.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A horse head huh? Interesting. I guess it's like seeing something in a cloud. You may see one thing but someone else may see something entirely different or nothing at all.

Viewer perspective, angle of view, coloration, many factors indeed, In viewing stones the base rules really don't mean a lot unless in show. As I said there is even an abstract category :p I would relate this one to a waterfall, for example, if the "falls" were white as well as the small portion on the top... If that is a hard stone that can polish up it is a nice stone either way.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might work better as a "plateau stone" lying on the flat side that is away from the camera...

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do believe I see your vague horse head. Is this it?
20180504_155215.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Might work better as a "plateau stone" lying on the flat side that is away from the camera...
You mean like this? That's how I first saw it but personally I find it less appealing like that.
20180504_161946.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
While we're on the subject I found this one also. It reminds me of something you might see around the badlands in South Dakota.
20180504_162056.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
level the bottom out and I see a lake at the foot of a mountain peak.
I can see that as an option now too. I didn't notice it like that before.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Top Bottom