Possible to fuse exposed surface roots on a Mugo?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I don't have pictures right now, but I'll post some later. I was thinking about this last night while letting the dog out and looking at a Mugo Pine I bought. It has quite a few gnarly roots surface roots. I was considering the future Nebari development that was possible. I did what I always do when trying to find the silhouette and basic shapes of a subject I'm about to draw. I unfocused my eyes from the subject until it's blurry and I'm only seeing the basic details and shapes. The overall shape of the current Nebari isn't terrible, it's only when you focus on it do you see the details ruin the appearance. I've seen a lot of info on grafting and fusing various materials, and I've done some searches on root fusing on this forum, but nothing specific on promoting root fusing pines for Nebari aesthetic reasons, unless I was just searching wrong. Would I be able to slightly injure roots that are already touching and paste over it to promote faster fusing?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never heard of pines getting fused roots.
Either they don't or it's not something that matches the pine aesthetic so people don't do it.

Only things like maples and ficus as far as I'm aware.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pines fuse just like other species. I have a couple of fused twin trunk JBP.
One year I planted some pines in the grow beds later in spring so I just slipped them out of the plastic pots and into the ground. 4 years later when I dug them the root mass from the pot had fused into a pot shaped mass of wood. needless to say reverse taper is not something to try for but roots certainly do fuse and removing bark will allow that to happen quicker provided the roots are already close together. Removing bark won't make them reach out to each other. If they are not already in close contact they'll just each heal up as usual.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1554561180426.png

....coupleafewthree decades should do it..... ;)

Top Bottom