Possible to shohin thuja?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
im not clued up on the species, but search arnoldk thuja, he has some smaller sized ones.
it will depend on whether they back bud on old wood or not. i think they do, wait for one of the conifer guys:cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can shave off some intermediate (middle) branches to unshade those little low ones and begin to develop them towards your goal, if it doesn't work out, keep growing it.

Sorce

Reaction score
@sorce can you please do one of your outlines to show what you mean by intermediate branches?

Ive wired the tree slightly to let light in for now since i wont be doing any pruning till next season20210707_193838.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something like this, but it looks like all those good low close branches are gone.
Capture+_2021-07-08-11-02-03.png

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They will backbud on old wood if there is healthy foliage nearby...

As Wires_guy said, it is hard to control... but they respond to strategic foliage pruning/shortening quite well... once you learn how to anticipate those “rocket branches”...

I believe it could be done... it will take seasons to develop reasonable taper, seeing as thujas branch aggressively... you’d be pruning back, pretty hard whilst developing branches, the first few years....

Or leave a big sacrifice off the top.. that’s what I’ve been doing (if able) lately.

Top Bottom