Possibly a Connifer/Deciduous Shohin Contest from Seedlings

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey guys I hope this doesn’t look like spam but I have an idea for a contest . It would be like a 6 ish year contest for who makes the best Shohin from a seedling/sapling . Two Categories Deciduous and Conifer ! It will be fun to see what people start with and what people do to develop their seedlings . I cannot run the contest so we would need someone else and it would be based off of votes . Please tell me what you think of this contest and if we can do it !

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Also it can be from cuttings since I know people may want to propagate something that has small foliage! And seedlings/cuttings would be less than 2 years old

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think you could run the contest! Make up some rules and go for it. BTW cuttings on some species could be more than 2 yrs old...

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I would be interested.
Yea dude I’m in
I think you could run the contest! Make up some rules and go for it. BTW cuttings on some species could be more than 2 yrs old...
Thanks guys ! I’m gonna actually see if I can start it when we start with 10+ people. I still would rather have someone else run it but if no one will I will have to! Also what should be the requirements for the seedlings ? Like age and size when starting . And when should the contest start ? This fall , winter or spring ?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I say contest starts Autumn……And can use any means like indoor outdoor then we can have variety of approach

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow though…6 yrs….damn……probably why I sell these things.

Dont get me wrong……….I love the seasons growing these things

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Wow though…6 yrs….damn……probably why I sell these things.

Dont get me wrong……….I love the seasons growing these things
It will be an outdoor bonsai only contest and also is 6 years too quick ? Also I don’t know what variety of approach means but there will be no air layering

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what variety of approach means
No,was just a thought.I meant like a free for all and see a variety of approaches…………its ok,I’m rambling………I use way to much co2 fertilization🤔

Outside is the charm though…..I currently am enjoying the outdoor approach with seedlings and cuttings.

I’m probably the only one who air-layers seedlings…..
JUST KIDDING🙃

I get what you mean about air-layers.

Attachments

• EB1E7BA3-4C0E-4186-BCAA-01DA32CEE590.jpeg
    EB1E7BA3-4C0E-4186-BCAA-01DA32CEE590.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 4BB4536E-EF17-4890-A591-EA0F75EE1043.jpeg
    4BB4536E-EF17-4890-A591-EA0F75EE1043.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 6F95B350-7B9B-4C17-B047-B5A1C9CEC75C.jpeg
    6F95B350-7B9B-4C17-B047-B5A1C9CEC75C.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 24
  • ED0F6DC6-3921-4AA9-8F59-54A1BF540D17.jpeg
    ED0F6DC6-3921-4AA9-8F59-54A1BF540D17.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 38

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m in for a shohin 6 year contest!

How about no air layering anything with secondary branching, only trunks and 1st/structural branches?
Well I guess air layering will be allowed but it would have to be from that seedling

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So those who are wondering on size limits . The starting material cannot be bigger than 2 feet and the trunk can’t be bigger than 3 cm. I’m starting with these Callicarpa Japonica. So when we get more people interested i will try to get this going in the fall. Possibly October

Attachments

• E58E90C1-86D1-49C1-96E5-A49EBD06EE28.jpeg
    E58E90C1-86D1-49C1-96E5-A49EBD06EE28.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool Idea, NJ...

I’m in.. there’s LOTS i could do..

Maybe, if not been said, the “from cutting” part could be eliminated.. because once that’s “in there”... it’s no longer a “From seed shohin contest” it’s just a shohin contest... ORRRR do just from cutting... but any mix of them and it’s simply a shohin contest.. which is cool, and I’d participate.. buuut I have a feeling you’d like to go a tad “unique” with it.

Just brainstormin.. it’s great to solidify all these details.. prior to even drafting rules/guidelines.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Cool Idea, NJ...

I’m in.. there’s LOTS i could do..

Maybe, if not been said, the “from cutting” part could be eliminated.. because once that’s “in there”... it’s no longer a “From seed shohin contest” it’s just a shohin contest... ORRRR do just from cutting... but any mix of them and it’s simply a shohin contest.. which is cool, and I’d participate.. buuut I have a feeling you’d like to go a tad “unique” with it.

Just brainstormin.. it’s great to solidify all these details.. prior to even drafting rules/guidelines.
Yeah I just want it to be a shohin contest . But then I don’t want people starting with fancy expensive material and doing crazy air layers . I want it to be open to basic little plants . I guess it will be a “Shohin Contest “ that in the rules be about only plants that aren’t air layered not thick as 3cm and no longer than 2 feet

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yeah I just want it to be a shohin contest . But then I don’t want people starting with fancy expensive material and doing crazy air layers . I want it to be open to basic little plants . I guess it will be a “Shohin Contest “ that in the rules be about only plants that aren’t air layered not thick as 3cm and no longer than 2 feet
Cool! I’m in no matter what.. just gotta play some devil’s advocate... to help “shape” this great idea.

So what about Trops, SubTrops and Arids?

You’d need, with what you described, an entry DEADLINE that could not be bypassed.. to keep everyone accountable and the game fair.

🤓

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Cool! I’m in no matter what.. just gotta play some devil’s advocate... to help “shape” this great idea.

So what about Trops, SubTrops and Arids?

You’d need, with what you described, an entry DEADLINE that could not be bypassed.. to keep everyone accountable and the game fair.

🤓
Any indoor trees/ tropical trees aren’t gonna be allowed. Only outdoor Deciduous and Conifers also the two categories . I’m thinking the contest will start this fall and end in October or November 2027. I want the deciduous to look cool in the fall for final submissions. Yeah sure 6 years no one will actually have developed Shohin bonsai but I hope that some have basic structure!

Last edited:
Top Bottom