Possibly for a from seed contest.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey guys, I was wondering if y’all had done a contest where everyone started from seeds. I think it would be fun and could be rather informative for folks about care from a seed to bonsai or pre-bonsai.
What about a deciduous tree seed, since there's a pine one already? I just planted four trays of JM seeds and some European Beech seeds.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would go for it too, ive planted some JM,m crab apples, birches and couple more :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My vote is any species really not just deciduous.
I think that’d be fun. Give everyone an opportunity to put one of their favorite plant species forward. However I think that would give an advantage to some species that do not go into a dormancy stage.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maybe we could try and find a deciduous species not everyone has worked with to make it interesting

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Should be players choice so we can all have a shot at using a species suitable for our area.
I dont know if players choice would be a great idea because how would the judging process work? If mostly everyone has a different type of tree, it would be hard to compare.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I dont know if players choice would be a great idea because how would the judging process work? If mostly everyone has a different type of tree, it would be hard to compare.

Something like a dog show? Instead of competing against each other, they are judged on a standard for that species.

If we had to have a more structured type, maybe it could be a maple from seed and not just trident.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something like a dog show? Instead of competing against each other, they are judged on a standard for that species.

If we had to have a more structured type, maybe it could be a maple from seed and not just trident.
I like the idea of dealers choice.

Top Bottom