Possibly possible

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Hi all

Saw this little larch up for grabs and loved the trunk thickness and can imagine the main leader fitting nicely after a bit of work making the transition from the main trunk smoother.
As a enthusiastic newbie I don’t know if this will heal or even if it’s possible.
1F238DCF-D9F4-4BC8-9102-92129EC163E8.png1F238DCF-D9F4-4BC8-9102-92129EC163E8.png
Any help much appreciated

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I quite like that and I agree about the potential. I see a nice little shohin informal upright. In your position I think I'd leave the stump for now, and maybe carve the transition smoother in a year or so once it has dried out. Larch do callus vigorously so in time it may well heal over, though there's alway be a bit of a 'lump' there that your design will need to accommodate.
What is critical is keeping the lower branches alive. Do this by making sure the upper shoots don't extend vigorously - keep them cut back. I'd also be looking at changing the angle of the lower branches so they bend more downwards.

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Hi Tom
Thanks for the quick advice and I didn’t know about the callous thing.
As for the lower branches did you mean on the left hand side ? If so would you remove most of the right hand side and just jin one of them ? Would this work ?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I don't think I'd remove anything right now, except keeping the top under control. The two branches that have wire on them, I'd bend down a little (if possible to do safely); same for the little right/rear branch just above the bigger one on the left. I'd focus on trying to keep those vigorous - it's really important to protect lower / inner growth on larch because once it's gone, its gone. Go slow and careful on this one.

If you are thinking about jins then you could clean the bark off the dead branch stumps on the right hand side, just to clean it up a bit now.

I'd also think about whether any root work needs to be done - can't see what the nebari is like or what the pot situation is - though now is not the time for that (maybe February in our climate, but when the buds start to 'glow' golden). I don't think it's a good idea to commit irrevocably to a design (i.e. cut things off) until one has seen the root situtation, as that often influences your choices.

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Wise words my friend thank you.
When it arrives I’ll upload some more shots and the nebari.
Slow and careful it is ;)

Top Bottom