Possibly the tiniest flowers I have ever seen along with tiny leafs...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I picked up this Variegated Rock Cotoneaster a couple of weeks ago. Just saw it and needed it - really for no good reason other then to experiment.
I am seeing it may have some possibilities though. Thoughts and ideas appreciated ;)

Top -

IMG_0475.JPG

Side -

IMG_0478.JPG

Thanks in advance :)

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would pick a trunk and get rid of the rest. Any idea how these airlayer? Might be worth trying to airlayer one or both(are there 3 branches? Hard to tell) of the extra branches off.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That first branch looks like a good place to start ;) Hehe.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Neat, perfect for shohin. I suspect you will grow it out a while, then you'll decide to either go with a single trunk or some sort of clump form like for Chojubai. Looks like a fun one. Books say they will root from air layers or from cuttings. Shouldn't be too hard to make more. They make pretty good cascades also.

If it were mine, I'd try to grow out to get a 1 to 2 inch diameter trunk, then bring it down to shohin size.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice little cotoneaster! I really like the leaf color and shape.

I bought one this spring called a thyme leaf cotoneaster, not much of a trunk on it but my fiancè really liked it so it's one of her bonsai now.

Aaron

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice little cotoneaster!

Cool, I know this is small but the proportions in leaf, flower, and berry made me interested. Do not recall ever seeing one as Bonsai but I "think" it could be ;)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The leaf reminds me of the serissa...variegated that is. But these seem a bit more verigated to their leaf.

These are so tiny it shows more pronounced and one of the reasons I think it has potential. Variegated plants are often overlooked in Bonsai but this type and cultivar, well I will try ;) Cotoneaster presents a few challenges in the North East but hey :p

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not a fan of it being variegated...

But, I'm a traditionalist.

Good luck with it.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a 'harlequin'. I've seen them as a long wondering cascade in a tall black glazed cascade pot. I too was very take with it at first, but it difficult for me to do much of anything else with it. So keep it just because it makes adds interest to the garden. I haven't yet gotten around to try making a mini from it, which might be a nice accent piece.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought a Tom Thumb infested with scale....

I'm in the process of pruning and descaling.

I'm gonna have a lot of pictures when I get Wi-Fi again.

Sorce

Top Bottom