Post Count

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been brought up before. A quick search didn't find anything similar.

I think that posts made in the Bar or Tea House shouldn't count towards one's post count. I know that post count isn't always a good metric for judging the usefulness of information, but I do think that has some effect, especially on new members. And of course, folks can post plenty of useless, non-bonsai crap in other sections as well.

Still, I think it would be worthwhile to try to make post count correlate a little more to bonsai-related posts.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
LOL I would be plenty happy if my posts from the Bar were deleted altogether! I don't go there much anymore for my own self respect.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I used to look at the amount of posts someone had as a way to judge ones credibility. But I have had a lot of great information given to me by people who have done very little posting. And I read some of the greatest information from someone who had (I believe) 17 posts. I was amazed by their information and then I noticed they had been a member for 6 years. They had just been sitting back in the shadows so to speak. And I have had quite a bit of good info from some new people who just became members this year.

On the othe side I have had a few misleading responses from only a couple people that have well over 1,000 posts.

So what have I learned?
The amount of posts mean nothing at all and you shouldn't judge someone by them. I don't even look at it anymore.

+ 1 post for me!
Which made me no smarter.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I can't disagree with that, Kevster. Should we get rid of post counts altogether?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe instead of all the crazy talk about removing something from a website you have no control over, how about searching on someones name and look at ones archive of work and base your opinions on that?

No one ever said that post count was an indicator of knowledge. For some, high post count just means they are full of hot air and find uselessly posting somehow makes them important. Then there are others that have high counts and contribute a great deal, and maybe some do not like to type and when they do it is good but post count is lower.

A person can spend two weeks on a forum and know who knows what. I find this thread rather counterproductive. I think when its all said and done, there are more knowledgable people with high post counts than not. Care to do the research? I think that might be rather enlightening. What say you?

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Smoke. I made that point in my original post " I know that post count isn't always a good metric for judging the usefulness of information..." I agree with you. I read almost every new post. I've been here long enough to know who to listen to and who to take with a big grain of salt (or even outright ignore).

And of course I know that I have no control over it. This is the "Feedback and Suggestions" section though. I'm not saying that the current system is broken or in desperate need of repair - just making a suggestion.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Last night I searched for posts since the last time I had visited, and 85% of them were from the Karoake Bar. Needless to say, she was pretty offended by one of the titles. I think you guys could guess which one...

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
I just don't see the point in having threads for topics unrelated to bonsai on a bonsai website. But, just my opinion. I do appreciate that those posts don't show up when searching for new posts. Ive only gone to those 2 threads twice, both times I had.immediate regret. When I'm on this site I have only bonsai on my mind, and that's the beauty of it.

I suppose I don't really care.if.its here.or not, everyone's points made.in the previous posts were valid.

So I guess my.point is that I have no point. Sorry for the waste of time, just trying to get my post count up. :) sorry for typos, using phone

Cheers to the weekend.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe instead of all the crazy talk about removing something from a website you have no control over
that's the beauty of client side rendering (ie web browsers) I do have control over what gets shown ...

that being said ... I still agree COMPLETELY with your sentiments about doing research and deciding for yourself...

LOL I would be plenty happy if my posts from the Bar were deleted altogether! I don't go there much anymore for my own self respect.

do yourself a favor and remove the Bar all together ... I wrote a userscript (greasemonkey) to remove it so it doesn't get rendered

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?6881-Why-Not-to-have-offtopic-sections&p=87372#post87372

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Last night I searched for posts since the last time I had visited, and 85% of them were from the Karoake Bar. Needless to say, she was pretty offended by one of the titles. I think you guys could guess which one...

Nope cause like I said I don't even go there anymore. :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Never been to the Bar (well the onsite bar here...) and won't go. It's just like anything else, as long as it's not in my face, why should I care what other people are doing. As long as it doesn't leak bad feelings into the other side...
That said, I wouldn't miss it, as I don't go.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
For the record, I'm not suggesting getting rid of the Bar or post count - just separating the two.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool....I might also make a suggestion.

Maybe we should be required to post a different tree each month that actually is a bonsai in a pot and displayed on a stand. It should also be accompanied by photos of the history of how it was aquired and the work you did to get to where it is. It should also be past the wired stage since it is on a stand.

For me, that would be a minimum. Anyone up for that?

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I understand your point. Are you (perhaps sarcastically) suggesting that each member provide such a post in order to stay? Sounds like a recipe for a forum that would have a few nice posts and little action. The main reason I like B-nut is because of the activity of members from all different experience levels. You seem to be trying to argue, but I'm not sure with what.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure that I understand your point. Are you (perhaps sarcastically) suggesting that each member provide such a post in order to stay? Sounds like a recipe for a forum that would have a few nice posts and little action. The main reason I like B-nut is because of the activity of members from all different experience levels. You seem to be trying to argue, but I'm not sure with what.

Well it is obvious that you don't really understand the flavor of your thread. Maybe IF you spent more time in the Bar instead of trying to remove the effects of its ideas you would understand that in your small (to you) suggestion you wish to influence someone who spends his money to afford a place for many aspects of life to be talked about and somehow remove its significance from how you think it should be. This vary thread is something one might find in the bar.

The erosian of other liberties. You may not see it that way, and you may think that post count is stupid, I agree, but how this place is run is none of your business.

A true suggestion is how one may improve a forum such as the addition of the display forum. Greg, the owner feels that the addition of the bar is good for him, probably due to the traffic it creates and since bandwidth gets cheaper based on the traffic, he has a gold mine here. That can be seen at any time of the day when 75 people are online here, 45 of them will be in the bar. Whether good or bad you are asking someone to reduce the significance of their contributions to a part of the forum in which they find pleasing in their own way and you disagree with. What you are asking is to somehow censor their contributions so that it can be easier for someone to base an opinion about them for some other part of the forum. Thats just wrong. You don't have to agree with them, just don't go there.

If I may be so bold, how about this for an intelligent suggestion. Why not Ask Greg to seperate the Bar and the tea house to a seperate Sub forum instead of including it in the Home Forum. Then you could use that small arrow on the sub forum, collapse it and voila, all goes away and you are never tempted to go there again.

Now in my small ingenious way I have eliminated a sub forum that most here do not want (me included ) probably about 12 trolls would go away since they never post anything substitive anyway, you have not infringed on anyones freedoms and liberties are preserved, which is the true American way.

Any questions?

GREG you reading?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I may be so bold, how about this for an intelligent suggestion. Why not Ask Greg to seperate the Bar and the tea house to a seperate Sub forum instead of including it in the Home Forum. Then you could use that small arrow on the sub forum, collapse it and voila, all goes away and you are never tempted to go there again.

Now in my small ingenious way I have eliminated a sub forum that most here do not want (me included ) probably about 12 trolls would go away since they never post anything substitive anyway, you have not infringed on anyones freedoms and liberties are preserved, which is the true American way.

maybe it wasn't clear what I saying with my comment earlier (page 1) .... I have already exposed a method that each user by their own free will can remove ANY element of the site from what they see on the forum ... specifically (because I desired it myself) you can literally remove the Bar ... I never see it ... I can't click on the link to go there (because its not there) ... the script can be modified to remove whatever else anyone wants (just ask me and I will add it if you don't know how) .... no need to change the structure of BNut ... just use the tools given to you ...

of course I am not arguing your point but merely restating that "we have the technology" so I don't see what all the fuss is about ....

ohhh and stop using IE people its more broken than a window in a crack house

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking we should get rid of "All the words" in the BAR... And only have "Stick Figures" !!!

Beside... Everything in the Bar is "Crap" anyways !!! :)

It does pass the Time though ???

I personally could care less if the post from the Bar are counted or not...

And, Sorry... but saying that "Not" counting post at the Bar is somehow
taking folks freedoms away...
Is like saying one-legged Cats are good jumpers !!! It's just plain silly... :)

I would expect that notion from someone that could care less about the erosian of personal liberties. Nothing silly about that.

Half the crap in the bar is crap, just your half.

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
we should have a thunder dome area...2 enters only 1 leaves kinda thing. Bonsai fight club

Top Bottom