Post em' Up! Non-Coniferous Yamadori in the Americas

Reaction score
Here are three pics I had of Cedar elm I collected. The two big ones should finally get some attention and move into training pots this spring. The huge monster one with no leaves is shown at the time of collection and has been roughly trimmed and has filled out since then.
View attachment 89339 View attachment 89340 View attachment 89341
Thanks for the post! Cedar Elms are really starting to gain a lot of attention as of lately and I think rightfully so! Very nice fall color of the middle one!

Reaction score
Have only had it for this year, so haven't tried defoliating. I can say, though, that it was vigorous enough to require cutting back 3 times during the growing season. The new growth that resulted from each cut-back was nowhere near as red as that first spring growth. Not sure if defoliation would have a different effect. Should be interesting to see if next spring the growth is as red.
I understand. I am not normally an individual who pushes for defoliating a tree, but the color of the red leaves coming in is really nice! Often our normal Oaks and cherry laurel trees growing not as bonsai, will coming in with new growth at first that is red, but usually only a couple of leaves, and it usually only lasts a day or two if lucky... so hot, so I think they just skip this phase. Did you have it there when it was in color? Reason why I ask, is that you might be lucky because of it being cooler there... wonder if it did this when it was down here in Florida? Have a feeling it might not of, and if so, had a lot less grander.

Last edited:

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is actually a Lysiloma latisiliquum a species of tree in the pea family often it is refer to or known as false tamarind or wild tamarind, but in all actuality it is not really a Tamarind.

It puts out flowers and pea pods and the leaves are similar to the moringa, but the trunks don't grow large and tubular.
Well that clears up my question. Here tamarindo is used to make a tart refreshing drink made from the seeds. They look great with flowers. There a lot like jacaranda which I also planted in my yard. Near them is a moringa, so in a few years I should have a compound leaf mini jungle.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another for you Stacy,

has the seed pod of a Buttonwood, but is denser and seems to be a shrub at around 14'.
Just been defoliated, and that seems to be a mistake in October, as it is still growing back in.
The defoliation was another of our tests for local plants to check responses.

We normally look for - density - of leaf or branchlet, to help determine how to train.

This actually from seed, as we don't normally uproot yamadori. Save for stumps from the roadside where the road cleaners have been.
A good bit of new stuff to test.
Still has to be identified.
Good Day
Anthony

buttonwood maybe 1.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All of the West Indian / Barbados Cherry [ Malpighia e ] come from the yard, planted by birds, as do the Sageretia t and Fukien teas, do we count
those as yamadori ?

By the way some of these Malpighia e, shrubs, weep as well, and have rounded or pointed leaves.

Here is a small West Indian Cherry.
Good Day
Anthony

Malpighia glabra  1.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the post! Cedar Elms are really starting to gain a lot of attention as of lately and I think rightfully so! Very nice fall color of the middle one!
Cedar elm has been around as bonsai for a very VERY long time. It was very popular in the 90s, but has slipped into relative obscurity in the last 10 years or so. That's a shame as it's arguably the best species yet found in the U.S. for bonsai cultivation.

Reactions: Vin

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing! The Lantana are very easily rooted, and often when collected, are just cut right at the round, rather than dug.
You are however the only one I know that is propagating them! Most folks around here are usually trying to kill them, because they are just weeds.
They easily flower, and in tight, and the flowers are really pretty!

Same thing here. Weeds. However pollinators and birds love their blooms/fruit respectively.
And there seems to be a bit of a surge in the "I want some of that stuff my Grandma used to
grow." crowd. That is the only reason I am propagating them. I get tired of telling people no
they can't get a cutting off the one I am trying to shape into something. They cheer right up
when I stick a pot in their hands and they can get it. [Never more than a dollar for a potted
weed.] They do have a place in the garden though; even if it is only at the backside of hell
sunny spot on poor soil away from anywhere you ever want to use again for anything else.
Thinking about "mowing over" some small ones repeatedly for a few years to see what I can
get that way.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cool Tree, thanks for posting! Do they easily send out budding down the trunk? If not, curios how they would take to grafting?
Yeah, this one budded all over the trunk. It had no branches after collection. The pic posted was just a month or so after... It has a lot more branches now.

ghulst

Seedling
Reaction score
Has Russian Olive ever used as bonsai?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Russian olive is not common, but it's been used as bonsai. I've seen a few over the years. Makes pretty good material.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are three pics I had of Cedar elm I collected. The two big ones should finally get some attention and move into training pots this spring. The huge monster one with no leaves is shown at the time of collection and has been roughly trimmed and has filled out since then.
Those are some nice ones for sure! I really like the third one; lots of possibilities.

Top Bottom