Post your Bloodgood's new leaves...or any red maples...

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. 15-20' JMs with a 10" trunk are very hard to find and when you do find them they are pricey!
Want one?
No thanks ! With that money, I'd rather buy an established bonsai tree ! I don't have the knowledge you have. I can see you know what you doing. Maybe one day, I'll know enough to do something like this ! Cheers !

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the idea of a "weird, possibly hybridized tree".
Just for clarity, a hybrid is a cross between two completely distinct species, and since all Japanese Maples are the same species (Acer palmatum), hybrid is not the word you are looking for. Perhaps "crossbreed" or something similar might be a better descriptor, but really just "from seed" or "seedling" would convey the relevant info since every seedling is genetically distinct, while every individual of a named cultivar is a genetically identical clone. In other words, it is impossible to grow a 'bloodgood' or a 'crimson queen' from seed; the very fact that it's from seed means it cannot be identical to one of its two parents, and only identical clones would carry the same cultivar name.

Just to sum up, there is no point searching through lists/pictures of named varieties for a match if you have a seed grown maple - by definition it cannot be any of them ;)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just for clarity, a hybrid is a cross between two completely distinct species, and since all Japanese Maples are the same species (Acer palmatum), hybrid is not the word you are looking for. Perhaps "crossbreed" or something similar might be a better descriptor, but really just "from seed" or "seedling" would convey the relevant info since every seedling is genetically distinct, while every individual of a named cultivar is a genetically identical clone. In other words, it is impossible to grow a 'bloodgood' or a 'crimson queen' from seed; the very fact that it's from seed means it cannot be identical to one of its two parents, and only identical clones would carry the same cultivar name.

Just to sum up, there is no point searching through lists/pictures of named varieties for a match if you have a seed grown maple - by definition it cannot be any of them ;)
Awesome! Thanks for the clarity!
Much appreciated!
Makes me happy to know it's uniqueness!
One of a kind, just like me :D

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Gorgeous tree Brian. How often do you repot this guy?
Every year for the last 13 years. Some years I go a little easier, some years I work it pretty had. This was an easy year because I didn't want to disrupt a thread graft I had been planning for 2 years:
IMG_8537.JPG IMG_8538.JPG
Last year was a bit more aggressive:
IMG_4869.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

This is absolutely correct. If you want a specific cultivar/species you have to go with a grafted tree. J.Maples do not reproduce accurately from seed. Because their gene pool is so narrow and isolated they are more likely to come up with manifestations of recessive genes because the more dominants genes no longer exist within the species.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is absolutely correct. If you want a specific cultivar/species you have to go with a grafted tree. J.Maples do not reproduce accurately from seed. Because their gene pool is so narrow and isolated they are more likely to come up with manifestations of recessive genes because the more dominants genes no longer exist within the species.
Very cool and interesting stuff, thanks Vdub.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few of my red and red-in-spring-and-fall maples that have opened. I have a few more cultivars that haven't yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2130.JPG
    IMG_2130.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 35

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is my Shirazz (Gwen's Rose Delight) I bought winter of 2016, $30 for a 4' b&b. I bare rooted it and potted up in a 25gal. pot. The pictures aren't the best and the color has already somewhat faded from part day sun but it starts out purple with a pink margin and eventually fades to a green with a white and pink margin.

My plan this year is to air layer this in to oblivion... I know the variegated varieties aren't that favorable for bonsai but it's growth habit is kind of angular and interesting, plus I've seen internodal spacing close to a quarter inch on less vigorous branches. This has a fairly clean graft so I'm planning on cutting it back hard when I'm done air layering. Won't ever be show quality but I like it a lot :D

Top Bottom