Post your Bloodgood's new leaves...or any red maples...

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let me know if the bloodgood compacta is truly compact or just a marketing gimmick to sell bloodgood for bonsai material,I believe I know where it came from and it was sold as bloodgood originally,now it has a fancy name.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks!
This is it the day I chopped 12-15 feet off of it. $1500 nursery tree destroyed in 15 minutes!
Talk about going through the ugly stage lol. Didn't see that coming.

That base and trunk tho :cool:. NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Mad at me lol. Leaves are small and petioles short. I went WAY too hard on the roots, and I knew it.

Most of the leaves look healthy though and I hope it grow better throughout the summer. One of my favorite trees in the small collection!

Oh and my cat used the Trident and Yew as a scratching post once upon a time :mad:!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mad at me lol. Leaves are small and petioles short. I went WAY too hard on the roots, and I knew it.

Most of the leaves look healthy though and I hope it grow better throughout the summer. One of my favorite trees in the small collection!

Oh and my cat used the Trident and Yew as a scratching post once upon a time :mad:!
Yikes! I shoot every animal that comes near my trees, or even near my yard for that matter.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get hints of green on both. I would have to find out the exact variety if needed.View attachment 142465 View attachment 142466
The first looks like Bloodgood, which gets some green tint in the summer even in full sun.

The 2nd one looks like my Fireglow. In full sun, if you look from the bottom, the leaves glow scarlet red.

Last edited:

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some Fireglow pictures from Google. They really do look like this in person when you look at the leaves from underneath. On a windy day, the whole tree looks like it's twinkling. Mine is in full sun with no burning and stays red all season long.

Attachments

• IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2041.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 27

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another red leaf favorite of mine, tsukusigata. Its leaves are on the edge of too large for bonsai (there is a similar variety, Umegae, with smaller leaves). Dark red, in fact 'chocolatey', in reflected light and the yummiest red is transmitted when back lit (exactly why most red maples are loved). Also interesting is that the leaf veins and petioles stay green.
IMG_20170424_154049056.jpg IMG_20170424_154103460.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a nursery one I was given last year. No tag probably just a common red JM.

Attachments

• 20170425_152814.jpg
    20170425_152814.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 27

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first looks like Bloodgood, which gets some green tint in the summer even in full sun.

The 2nd one looks like my Fireglow. In full sun, if you look from the bottom, the leaves glow scarlet red.
Both are the same even though one more green today.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm trying to figure out what type this is.
View attachment 142350 View attachment 142351 View attachment 142352
Am correct in saying that, if this tree is a seedling from a landscape bloodgood, it may be quite different from the tree that it came from (as a seed)....
I just received this tree a couple weeks ago and I was told that it grew in the yard and was dug up recently.
The leaves look cool, to me....
Red with some green tint in there...
What do you think?
Any ideas?
Hybrid?
It looks like Atropurpurum.

Top Bottom