The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are two Shishigara maples that are under development, finally showing some fall color! Turned later than all my other maples this year.
Pictures taken before defoliation and after. Now it is possible to check the thread grafting progress after the growing season. Will prune and plan further grafting if necessary before bud break in the spring.

IMG_1200.jpeg

IMG_1201.jpeg

CrisisM0de

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome trees everyone! Great post, fun to see what everyone has.

Most of what I have collected during my first year.

A dawn redwood that I may or may not have massacred:

bc.jpg

A 5$ boxwood that had cool roots:

box.jpg

My prized trees:

jbps.jpg

And the 10 austrian pines and 10 ponderosa pines I got for a dollar each on Saturday :)

pines.jpg

On a side note... @Mapleminx, do red dragon JMs make good bonsai? I was under the impression that they could be difficult and hard to air layer.

Last edited:

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Always my favorite thread each year.
some advice for beginners, poorly draining soil ruins fall color, so does too much shade. It took me years to realize my fall color was lacking because my soil was too heavy. Attached is a pic of a maple that turned maroon-ish brown last fall before the leaves turned turd brown and melted while still on the tree. It was transplanted into a lava and bark mix and now has beautiful fall color despite a good sun scorching this summer. The tree was purchased in potting soil, not my fault.

Attachments

• A05B4B6E-C135-428E-93E3-3362A351E1BC.jpeg
    A05B4B6E-C135-428E-93E3-3362A351E1BC.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 53

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
'White Cascade' is an evergreen azalea that features funnel-shaped white flowers with greenish-yellow blotches. Flowers bloom in clusters in mid-season to late-mid-season (May). This is a low-growing azalea that typically matures over time in a rounded but spreading form to 2-3' tall and to 4-6' wide.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Always my favorite thread each year.
some advice for beginners, poorly draining soil ruins fall color, so does too much shade. It took me years to realize my fall color was lacking because my soil was too heavy. Attached is a pic of a maple that turned maroon-ish brown last fall before the leaves turned turd brown and melted while still on the tree. It was transplanted into a lava and bark mix and now has beautiful fall color despite a good sun scorching this summer. The tree was purchased in potting soil, not my fault.
SMR_1736.JPG
Arakawa mother tree for layers and cuttings

SMR_1251.JPG
Orange Dream mother tree for layers and cuttings(11/8/20)

SMR_1739.JPG
same tree(11/10/2020)

SMR_1686.JPG
Orange Dream Air Layer

SMR_1696.JPG
Atropurpureum

SMR_1702.JPG
Nishiki Gawa

Top Bottom