Post Your Invasives!

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lately, I have been collecting random seedlings and saplings to train as potential pre-bonsai in the future. My budget may be tight but I still enjoy acquiring new material, however small it may be. I don't have the time or resources to go on collecting trips to find yamadori or dig thicker, more advanced material at the moment.

On a recent trip to the beach, I collected a small Brazilian Pepper (Schinus terebinthifolius). A quick online search revealed a few examples of this species as bonsai, so I figured why not try it, despite its status as a noxious invasive (I will never let it become reproductive).

This prompted me to review my collection of sticks in pots and pre-bonsai for other species considered invasive in my home state, FL (or possibly elsewhere). What I have that qualifies as an invasive is as follows:

-Schinus terebinthifolius (Brazilian Pepper)

-Ficus aurea (Florida Strangler Fig) native to part of FL but considered invasive within its range nonetheless, this one is going to be an amazing bonsai within 3-5 years

-Cinnamomum camphora (Camphor Tree) seedlings cover the ground adjacent to trees

-Albizia julibrissen (Persian Silk Tree) not good for bonsai, but I have a volunteer in a pot and like the leaves

-Triadica sebifera (Chinese Tallow Tree) like the form, leaves and the fall color here is about as good as it gets

-Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) apparently considered invasive in some areas within its range

Post and discuss any of your bonsai/pre-bonsai material that may qualify as an invasive, noxious weed!

I will post photos of mine later this evening.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found something the other week while looking for a stock plant for a friend;
Banyan, Ficus benghalensis is considered invasive and prohibited in your state.
Doesn't seem to be available in any form except seed. Found a few nurseries
that listed them but they are "not in stock", "unavailable", etc.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Elaeagnus collected June2016a.jpg

Elaeagnus multiflora - or it might be Elaeagnus umbellata. Both are invasives in my area. I think this is E. multiflora because fruit is ripe in early August, where I think umbellata has fruit ripe in Sept-October.

I think it can be called Silverberry, or Goumi berry, or Autumn Olive. This one is destined to become shohin. Collected in June of 2016.

below is what the bush in the ground looks like in August.

Elaeagnus multiflora1.jpg Elaeagnus multiflora3.jpg Elaeagnus multiflora2.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You do see Elaeagnus as bonsai, E pungens is the "Goumi Berry" or Silverberry, but all species of Elaeagnus can be used for bonsai. Pretty good species for bonsai. Not so good to have on a blueberry farm. Its berries serve as a host for Spotted Winged Drosophila, or Spotted Winged Fruit Fly. The SWD does serious economic damage to blueberries, raspberries, cherries and grapes in Michigan, millions of dollars worth of damage. Ideally need to remove every bush on the property. There are thousands, it just won't happen. Birds love them.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for all who chimed in!

Unfortunately, I have had a death in the family (my grandfather), so the photos of my little invasives will have to wait until tomorrow.

I am really excited to see what the tropical enthusiasts think of my Ficus aurea that just recently received its first major chop. In addition, I am very eager to train my Chinese tallow tree over the coming years as I think this is actually an excellent species for bonsai at first glance (don't know whether it sheds major branches or is short lived, etc.)

If you reside on the southern half of the FL Peninsula, look for volunteer Ficus spp. (likely including F. benghalensis) in rows of hedges, shrub beds and in the same type of places one can find Ficus aurea. Sabal palmetto canopies are among the most common starting points for Ficus aurea in the State of FL.

Sorce, though not considered "invasive" in Florida that I know of, I will post an updated pic of my buttonwood, since it now has a new long growth coming in much lower that I can work with (per your suggestion).

Also, my trident couldn't be better, all the updates and photos will be posted tomorrow.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My sympathy for the loss of your Grandfather:(.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Firstly, my condolences.

Secondly, I would like to contribute, but we don't really have invasive trees, maybe weed trees.
So here is one from seedling, and has been further multiplied through cuttings.
Fustic - Chlorophora t.

Thus far we haven't found any others that can do this.
Good Day
Anthony

old image - apologies
fustic (2).jpg

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Sorry for your loss miker. So most of my trees are weeds or invasives so I guess this thread is my jam. First up is my huge invasive burning bush with my weed in a mason jar for sizeIMG_20160815_141156448.jpga serious cut back, branch removal and some carving is in order for next spring. Next is elaeagnus angustifolia aka silver berry similar to those posted above but flower and fruit in the spring, and has nasty thorns. IMG_20160815_141356888.jpgthese were collected this spring and all issued tons of new growth and in most cases right at my chops. I'll probably start working on these guys this coming spring since I'm pretty confident in their recovery. ..

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry for your loss miker. So most of my trees are weeds or invasives so I guess this thread is my jam. First up is my huge invasive burning bush with my weed in a mason jar for sizeView attachment 114076a serious cut back, branch removal and some carving is in order for next spring. Next is elaeagnus angustifolia aka silver berry similar to those posted above but flower and fruit in the spring, and has nasty thorns. View attachment 114077these were collected this spring and all issued tons of new growth and in most cases right at my chops. I'll probably start working on these guys this coming spring since I'm pretty confident in their recovery. ..
Niiiccceee....jar....hahaha.....
That burning bush has me jealous.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
That burning bush has me jealous.
its no jem it needs some serious work. It looks horrible with no leaves. IMG_20160330_241440170.jpg here is another one I collected last spring. I diddnt have a pot ready for it so I stuck it in the ground. It's hard to tell but it put in a ton of growth. I'll be ready for it 2017... chop, repot, angle change, wire, show the nice nebari,
IMG_20160815_145633332.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have one that grew from seed in my yard, (my neighbor has a huge 15-20 foot one in their yard) dug it up this spring, looks a few years old.
Mine's just a twig compared to that thing though.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I have one that grew from seed in my yard, (my neighbor has a huge 15-20 foot one in their yard) dug it up this spring, looks a few years old.
Mine's just a twig compared to that thing though.
I messed around with some small seedlings I had found, and some smaller landscape stuff but theyr frustrating due to the single flush of growth. It's hard to get good natural movement and ramification. And the branches get brittle, so wiring has to be done early, and guy wiring is tricky. I have a good feeling about the last one I posted. I know how they work now.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah, speaking of one flush.... mine was fully leafed out when I dug it up and after a bare rooting and potting it up, is grew 2 new small shoots! Weird huh...
I figured maybe, the flush of growth wasn't totally finished by the time I dug it.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Yeah, speaking of one flush.... mine was fully leafed out when I dug it up and after a bare rooting and potting it up, is grew 2 new small shoots! Weird huh...
I figured maybe, the flush of growth wasn't totally finished by the time I dug it.
Yup, sounds like a weed. Pretty hard to kill em

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss miker. So most of my trees are weeds or invasives so I guess this thread is my jam. First up is my huge invasive burning bush with my weed in a mason jar for sizeView attachment 114076a serious cut back, branch removal and some carving is in order for next spring. Next is elaeagnus angustifolia aka silver berry similar to those posted above but flower and fruit in the spring, and has nasty thorns. View attachment 114077these were collected this spring and all issued tons of new growth and in most cases right at my chops. I'll probably start working on these guys this coming spring since I'm pretty confident in their recovery. ..
Well... You win the award for most illegal item used for scale in a bonsai pic! LOL

Top Bottom