Post Your Invasives!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also like to collect whatever is growing around my house! I collected this last fall and it has grown like a weed (haha). Anybody have an idea what it is?
Acer negundo, box elder maple. Their fun and yeah they do grow like weeds! Lol

Aaron

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Paulownia bonsai? I too like to live dangerously.

Lol, is that even possible? :p My mom has a huge one in her backyard and adores it. They're gorgeous trees... still waiting for it to go nuts but it's only 4 years old.

Love my invasives; I have mimosas and mulberries all over that I'm experimenting on. Just rescued a virginia creeper too that's a hot mess...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
its no jem it needs some serious work. It looks horrible with no leaves. View attachment 114084 here is another one I collected last spring. I diddnt have a pot ready for it so I stuck it in the ground. It's hard to tell but it put in a ton of growth. I'll be ready for it 2017... chop, repot, angle change, wire, show the nice nebari,
View attachment 114081

Did you do any work to these ?

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You know it's funny - given how common they are - that no one has posted a box elder that I can recall...
You're right. I have one right now that I'm just growing in a large pot. Not a lot of time to dedi
You know it's funny - given how common they are - that no one has posted a box elder that I can recall...
You're right, collected this one 2 years ago I believe. Saved it from certain death by lawnmower. I airlayered the top off this spring. Just letting these guys do their thing and develop some branches

Attachments

• 14991865242971567824240.jpg
    14991865242971567824240.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 1499186545349606917737.jpg
    1499186545349606917737.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 45

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@gallina1594 ,

no chance of a colander and then ground growing for a nice fat trunk and 6 branches ?
Maybe 3 or 4 inches.

Looks like a good tree for Bonsai.
Good Day
Anthony

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@gallina1594 ,

no chance of a colander and then ground growing for a nice fat trunk and 6 branches ?
Maybe 3 or 4 inches.

Looks like a good tree for Bonsai.
Good Day
Anthony
I've just recently acquired a space for keeping my trees... Which also includes space to put trees in the ground!! I was limited to what I could do with my trees before.

And may I ask what you mean by "no chance of a colander"?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Ill try to get some pics tomorrow with out yhe mess in the background. This is the burning bush in the ground from my previous post.0704171652.jpg the box looks huge in the picture but its only about 14 inches . the nebari goes deeper too. Just wanted a lol extra protection this year

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I neglected to repot my Paulownia this spring....
And it croaked....
Pushed out several shoots which kept dying off, and that was it...
I guess you have to repot the world's fastest growing tree every year (imagine that), even in a huge grow bucket....oh well.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's my buckthorne. It seems to be a great species for bonsai to me, so much I'm surprised we don't see more of them. Great nebari, bag buds and grows like crazy, seems easy to keep healthy, I'm on the 3rd flush of growth now and need to cut it back again already. Oh and it makes nice Flowers's and little bonsai size red berries. IIMG_9286.JPG IMG_8384.JPG IMG_9279.JPG IMG_9286.JPG Need to put this in a nice round pot and get it to flower in a year or so.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Box elder, Virginia creeper, wild grape, poison ivy: all native to eastern North America.
Agressive? Yes.
Weedy? Yes.
Invasive? Meh, everything in its place.

That said...
Our verry own "Trident of the North"
Acer tataricum ssp. ginnala :cool:
image.jpg

And privet...
image.jpg

Sorry, I've been feeling nerdy lately.:rolleyes:o_O

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Update, one year later, Elaeagnus multiflora. It didn't grow much, maybe it was mostly re-building roots, I was brutal when I dug it up. I did carve out the bulge to get the chop scars to heal better than this May 2017 photo. I will have to keep on top of that or I'll end up with reverse taper there.

@Soldano666 Brian, your burning bushes are fantastic.
IMG_20170519_170830322.jpg

@aml1014 Aaron, post a picture of your teacher's box elder. While not the most refined species for bonsai, it definitely works for larger sizes.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update, one year later, Elaeagnus multiflora. It didn't grow much, maybe it was mostly re-building roots, I was brutal when I dug it up. I did carve out the bulge to get the chop scars to heal better than this May 2017 photo. I will have to keep on top of that or I'll end up with reverse taper there.

@Soldano666 Brian, your burning bushes are fantastic.
View attachment 152105

@aml1014 Aaron, post a picture of your teacher's box elder. While not the most refined species for bonsai, it definitely works for larger sizes.
I will try to get a new pic of it tomorrow when I'm at her house if I remember.

Aaron

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Here is the same burning bush I posted the other day. Its the second one from the original post. It was potted up this spring and cut back. I havent done much else otherwise0708171454.jpg i need help hauling the big one to get photos. But I did cut it back quite a bit, and got it into a smaller box..... But still too heavy

Top Bottom