Post Your Invasives!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And some progress on these silverberry. I still need to let some these shoots run for a while, and should get some wire on some of these straight sections befpre they get too thick.View attachment 152402 View attachment 152403 View attachment 152404

Nice this ones i was curious about
I got myself a elaeagnus ebbingei(i think ) i think its a evergreen variety tough but fall will tell for sure i didnt find much info on them yet but still im going to try and make something out of it cus it was my fathersday present

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Found a 5' Rose of Sharon blooming today in the wooded area I've naturalized in my front yard. I had no idea they were invasive. I also have been closely watching a lovely Japanese maple (palmatum) growing in there as well for years now. Looking at invasiveplantatlas.org I find out they are also consisted invasive in the eastern United States, Canada, and Hawaii. Both appeared spontaneously as volunteers.

Oh well. I suppose I should go dig up and burn these invaders.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cratagus monogyna, I can't believe no one has mentioned it, but it's considered invasive here in Oregon. I have several, but this one is my favorite.IMG_20170625_091010548_HDR.jpg I also have some Russian Olive that I don't know why I keep, and a nice tree/shrub/bush called a Silk Flower that habitats any wet spot, or irrigation ditch.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cratagus monogyna, I can't believe no one has mentioned it, but it's considered invasive here in Oregon. I have several, but this one is my favorite.View attachment 153383 I also have some Russian Olive that I don't know why I keep, and a nice tree/shrub/bush called a Silk Flower that habitats any wet spot, or irrigation ditch.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Invasiveplantatlas.org lists over 1200 species. It seems even plants native to this country, if they spread too far from 'home', make the list. Ponderosa pines were on it, as were juniperus virginiana and pinus sylvestris. I could probably post pics of half my collection here.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
How about an Oxalis accent. Surprisingly, it hasn't taken off quite as well as it seems to in any pot with a tree in it!
View attachment 151904
I cant get rid of that stuff! Grows long tap roots and its super hard to pull out of the soil without breaking it. I seriously could spend all my time just pulling that crap out of the pots and i would never run out of work.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cant get rid of that stuff! Grows long tap roots and its super hard to pull out of the soil without breaking it. I seriously could spend all my time just pulling that crap out of the pots and i would never run out of work.

I inspectigated the seeds on one yesterday....
No bloody wonder!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Virginia Creeper...I keep this away from everything. It's a mad growing weed.

image.jpg

The Boston Ivy...I've cut this back a few times...and look at it! Just keeps chugging along.
image.jpg

Also in some locations the Tamarix is considered invasive. Not in Ohio though...
image.jpg

Last edited:

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Acer negundo, Manitoba maple, seedlings everywhere. Dug and chopped this in mayish about an inh above the leader. I didn't put anything on for cut paste and was kinda surprised how far back it died on the opposite side of the leader. So I cleaned it up and used sone cheap cut paste.

20170720_132644.jpg

20170720_134524.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update, one year later, Elaeagnus multiflora. It didn't grow much, maybe it was mostly re-building roots, I was brutal when I dug it up. I did carve out the bulge to get the chop scars to heal better than this May 2017 photo. I will have to keep on top of that or I'll end up with reverse taper there.

@Soldano666 Brian, your burning bushes are fantastic.
View attachment 152105

@aml1014 Aaron, post a picture of your teacher's box elder. While not the most refined species for bonsai, it definitely works for larger sizes.
Sorry for the delay, but this tree is actually in my garden now:D20170728_114009.jpg
And a cutting from it20170804_150854.jpg
Aaron

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've been observing the jujube (Ziziphus jujuba) suckers popping up. They have small fruit mostly and seem to do so easily. Very aggressive plants. Possibly can grow from root cuttings, which would mean lots of possibilities.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The two most invasive plants I have at this time are a Chocolate Mint(left) and a couple of pots of Graveyard Moss(far right) -

IMG_1399.JPG

I have others I consider invasive like Strawberry Guava but small

Grimmy

Top Bottom