Post Your Red Maples!

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was lucky enough to be welcomed to Gary Marchal's place a few years back. Here's one of his Acer rubrum that at the time was said to be about 35 years old.

Attachments

• AcerRubrum.jpg
    AcerRubrum.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 106
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My large jap maple on a rainy day. I put a 6'' garden pot around the base to develop a better nebari.

Attachments

• IMGP2343.jpg
    IMGP2343.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 78

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Here it is now leafed out. In another 2 weeks it'll be out of control. The second shot shows their ability to heal. This used to be the front of the tree. I had totally hollowed it out to the soil line almost to the cadmium (25 years ago) and before I knew about these sorts of things. The hope was to get the decayed look of a maple in a local cow pasture. This is almost entirely healed. The scar was 3-1/2" across and about a deep. Pretty stupid looking now, which why its in the back of the tree. If you look close there is cut putty down in the bottom. The greenery at the soil line are seedlings (weeds) grafted on add to the nebari.
Very nice...tree/pot combo really works. And who would have thought of going to collect wild seedlings for root grafts (not me, I guess)...pretty cool.

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lovely! I have a silver maple that grew as a weed in my parents' yard, hacked back year after year. Last year I started pruning it consciously, and cut back the roots in the fall in preparation for moving to a colander this spring. It seems to have survived the transplant well, and now I'm focusing on growing a new top and thickening the primary branches. Definitely need to graft on a couple seedlings to improve the nebari too!

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Laura

Here it is now leafed out. In another 2 weeks it'll be out of control. The second shot shows their ability to heal. This used to be the front of the tree. I had totally hollowed it out to the soil line almost to the cadmium (25 years ago) and before I knew about these sorts of things. The hope was to get the decayed look of a maple in a local cow pasture. This is almost entirely healed. The scar was 3-1/2" across and about a deep. Pretty stupid looking now, which why its in the back of the tree. If you look close there is cut putty down in the bottom. The greenery at the soil line are seedlings (weeds) grafted on add to the nebari.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have been wanting to really get some acer rubrums going that I have on my property. I only have one potted up, which is a good ways off. Can you defoliate these like you would a trident?

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score

Nice, this is great tree. Do these maples heal better over flat cuts or rounded off cuts? I ask because I know they have issues with die back.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is a shame that you don’t acer rubrum more. They grow like weeds in my neck of the woods. In fact last year I had about a dozen self-seed in my training boxes. Seeds are dropping now so I may collect some to start growing.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
It is a shame that you don’t acer rubrum more. They grow like weeds in my neck of the woods. In fact last year I had about a dozen self-seed in my training boxes. Seeds are dropping now so I may collect some to start growing.

May as well look around for a nice one to pull out of the ground, if that's your style, would save you a lot of years.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
May as well look around for a nice one to pull out of the ground, if that's your style, would save you a lot of year.

I had a couple that I lost over the winter. They dryed out too much last fall when I was away for work. They are easy to collect though. I didnt get a chance to collect any this spring but I'll collect more at some point.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice, this is great tree. Do these maples heal better over flat cuts or rounded off cuts? I ask because I know they have issues with die back.

Cut back should be hollow. I have never had an issue with die back at all. They seem to be hard to kill.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is a tree that I collected last spring that didn't make it.

Attachments

• 20130627_153248.jpg
    20130627_153248.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 86

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My large jap maple on a rainy day. I put a 6'' garden pot around the base to develop a better nebari.

I've never seen this technique before. How does that work? Is this something you've developed? Do I still need a tile under the roots or can I do away with that?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So concave cutters would be good for this?

Yep. Sometimes I clean that up with a knob cutter or a small carving gouge, so that the hollow is spherical instead of cylindrical as most concave cutter leave. There are concave cutter which are concave on both axis but I don't have a pair.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm, looks pretty dry.. These are swamp trees and don't mind wet feet, that could have been why It died.

Not necessarily. They grow in all types of ground. I have one I planted in my yard and it is thriving. I live on a hill with hay fields on 2 sides and a spruce nursery on the other 2. No swamps here. Actually pretty dry around here.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I'm not saying they CAN'T live in drier conditions but they are called "swamp maple" for a reason.

Top Bottom