Post Your Red Maples!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm, looks pretty dry.. These are swamp trees and don't mind wet feet, that could have been why It died.

The picture makes it look dry but it was quite the opposite. The substrate I used broke down almost immediately. I used oil dry, grit and pine bark. I will not use oil dry again. It was too late to repot when I noticed it so I figured I would wait until this spring.

It grew vigorously all summer. I believe what did it in was a combination of the hard winter, my own lack of experience and fact that the tree was allowed to get too dry when I was away for a couple of weeks in the fall.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not saying they CAN'T live in drier conditions but they are called "swamp maple" for a reason.

The fact that they can adapt to a large range of conditions is exactly what allows them to cover such a large geographic area. I do agree that they prefer to be on the wet side though.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have been wanting to really get some acer rubrums going that I have on my property. I only have one potted up, which is a good ways off. Can you defoliate these like you would a trident?

You can defoliate. This is mine with a partial defol. I would have done the whole thing but it had a large root reduction this spring for the smaller pot. I'm also letting the lower right branch gain some caliper. There are some small leaves but they will probably get a bit larger as the season goes on.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 53

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese or red maple?

I dont see why they can not be even mame. This is my mame over 10 years old.

you can do pretty much anything with a japanese maple, maybe Neli was talking about maples from america if I can call it that like Acer rubrum also called Swamp Maple,and Soft Maple), this picture is of a maple that was shipped to me as trident maple but I don't think so, if anyone knows the name please let me know, I want to share this pic because this maple grow similar to a rubrum not much to work with as you can see don't branch much either, is over 5years old and still looks smaller then a pencil, going back to the same conversation the only think I might be concern on any tree could be not been able to reduce leaf size at all, there is always a way to bent a branch or add one if we have to, acer rub rum can reduce leaf size not exactly like we want to but it will, food and watering can also affect that too. mainly watering.

Attachments

• DSC_0177.jpg
    DSC_0177.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0168.jpg
    DSC_0168.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom