Post your WORST bonsai project

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As soon as I go outside I'll take a photo of my current "worst" tree - a cork oak that I can't get to bud back. I'd love to see other problem trees so that we can discuss possible solutions... Post your nastiest tree and let's vote - woodpile or diamond in the rough?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This should be fun....

Welcome to my headache, an Eastern Red Cedar over the course of the last 18 months....

Attachments

• erc_001.jpg
    erc_001.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 100
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After moving to a screen sided planter....

Attachments

• erc_002.jpg
    erc_002.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 93
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And after some random styling.....

Firewood or possibilities?

Attachments

• erc_003.jpg
    erc_003.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 76
  • erc_004.jpg
    erc_004.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 67

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bet this will get a vote for worst tree. I'm quite embarrassed about this. No questions please.

Tom

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I bet this will get a vote for worst tree. I'm quite embarrassed about this. No questions please.

Tom

With the worst tree scenario a question should be asked when contemplating casting it out. Short of the wood pile can the tree be salvaged and redesigned into a good bonsai? I think yes. I would THINK ABOUT layering the tree off just above the first branch. The big fault with this tree is the straight section of the trunk. Cutting off at the point I suggested will give you the opportunity to style a smaller tree with a dramatic trunk that could be a good bonsai in about three years.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And after some random styling.....

Firewood or possibilities?

Only a doodie headed elitist would consider this fire wood. It has great possibilities once the idiosyncrasies of the species are solved.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's my disappointment... I had trimmed this oak back prior to my plans for airlayering it. I was stunned to see absolutely NO back budding on any branches, with the exception of the very top apex area, and very low on the trunk. I even had new buds pop through the very thick corking at the base of the tree, but nothing in the middle.

At this point I am still planning on proceeding with air-layer plans, but I have to hope that I will get new growth somewhere on the trunk or I may lose the trunk when I separate the airlayer. The small branches are almost completely dead now - at least they show now signs of budding, though they are still somewhat flexible and have not dried out. I may try defoliating the tree completely to see what I get. The apex is so ridiculously strong right now I am not worried about losing the tree.

oaklayer.jpg

oaklayer2.jpg

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With the worst tree scenario a question should be asked when contemplating casting it out. Short of the wood pile can the tree be salvaged and redesigned into a good bonsai? I think yes. I would THINK ABOUT layering the tree off just above the first branch. The big fault with this tree is the straight section of the trunk. Cutting off at the point I suggested will give you the opportunity to style a smaller tree with a dramatic trunk that could be a good bonsai in about three years.

Yes that is exactly what my plan is, although, I was going for cuttings instead of a layer. Another area of concern is the roots. I'm pretty sure they flat out suck but its tough to get a good idea on them with the soil its in which also needs addressing.

subnet_rx, you hit the nail on the head. Thats where I got this from. I thought I was getting a good piece of stock but instead I got this.

Tom

Top Bottom