Pot chop ID?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Recently I bought a small unglazed motif pot, I was told it was japanese pot, but the seller knew nothing more.
Could you please anybody identify a maker?
IMG_20181116_230512.jpg
new pot.jpg

Reaction score
That's Bunzan (Seto) slipcast productionware. I understood a company, which is not associated with Echizen Bunzan, has made pots under this and many other brands. I have a few myself and they are nice pots, which I mostly use as training pots.

A lot of pots with this particular stamp are transfer ware, meaning the image is not painted on, but transferred onto the clay with a printing sticker. Not sure if that is what happened to this pot, but it is a nice pot nonetheless.

There is also some good info on this on MRB's website, www.japanesebonsaipots.net. There's tons of top tier info on there, an undoubtedly on Seto Bunzan as well.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's Bunzan (Seto) slipcast productionware. I understood a company, which is not associated with Echizen Bunzan, has made pots under this and many other brands. I have a few myself and they are nice pots, which I mostly use as training pots.

A lot of pots with this particular stamp are transfer ware, meaning the image is not painted on, but transferred onto the clay with a printing sticker. Not sure if that is what happened to this pot, but it is a nice pot nonetheless.

There is also some good info on this on MRB's website, www.japanesebonsaipots.net. There's tons of top tier info on there, an undoubtedly on Seto Bunzan as well.
Oh, thank you very much, Maarten, I'll check it. Maybe my first japanese pot will be for some small juniper.
I checked the stamps on japanesebonsaipots.net before posting the question, I'll try harder.

Reaction score
Oh, thank you very much, Maarten, I'll check it. Maybe my first japanese pot will be for some small juniper.
I checked the stamps on japanesebonsaipots.net before posting the question, I'll try harder.

It's a very nice for a first, please post when you've planted it!

There's so much on Ryan's site it's very hard to actually find stuff there, no worries haha

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Ryan started the
It's a very nice for a first, please post when you've planted it!

There's so much on Ryan's site it's very hard to actually find stuff there, no worries haha
Ryan started the FB page. Lot's of members chime in with ID's. I've sold many pots on FB auction pages after getting the correct ID.;)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see both ways lead to the same man. ?
I'll have to take some time to read and learn more about pots.

Reaction score
Ryan started the
Ryan started the FB page. Lot's of members chime in with ID's. I've sold many pots on FB auction pages after getting the correct ID.;)

It's a great group yeah! A wonderful place to go if you can't see the stamp through the forest anymore on his website :)

By the way, @petegreg there's all kinds of info on European Bonsai pots on https://www.europeanbonsaipottercollective.com/ebpd-stamp-database.html and on USA pots on @thams' website www.americanbonsaiceramics.com. great places too! The EBPD is still under construction, but there's well over a 100 different European potters on there already.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a great group yeah! A wonderful place to go if you can't see the stamp through the forest anymore on his website :)

By the way, @petegreg there's all kinds of info on European Bonsai pots on https://www.europeanbonsaipottercollective.com/ebpd-stamp-database.html and on USA pots on @thams' website www.americanbonsaiceramics.com. great places too! The EBPD is still under construction, but there's well over a 100 different European potters on there already.
Thank you for these links, seems to be pretty good database. And found one more... http://bonsaipotplaza.com ?

Reaction score
Thank you for these links, seems to be pretty good database. And found one more... http://bonsaipotplaza.com ?

That's a really good one too!
By the way, there is a facebook group that collects European Bonsai potter stamps too , if you have stamps of EU bonsai potters that aren't on the database yet, please post em there! The name is European Bonsai Potter Database

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a really good one too!
By the way, there is a facebook group that collects European Bonsai potter stamps too , if you have stamps of EU bonsai potters that aren't on the database yet, please post em there! The name is European Bonsai Potter Database
Cool, thank you for info. Just scrolled the page briefly, I guess I have at least two SK pot makers to share. The pots are being on their way to my door. Once accepted to the group I'll share them.

Top Bottom