Pot Chop ID

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
anyone help with identifying the chop mark on this pot. I think its Japanese, but I cant find it on any of the databases. its hand signed and google translate thinks it says "Pebbles" :rolleyes:
it is a small shohin semi cascade pot that came with a tree from Japan.
20210304_140132.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
小石原(koishiwara) - small pebble valley. An area in Fukuoka prefecture.

Quick google search got me this https://www.google.com/search?q=小石原盆栽&rlz=1C1CHBD_enJP942JP942&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu7rCxpJnvAhWVbN4KHftKDVgQ_AUoAXoECAMQAw&biw=1280&bih=578&dpr=1.5

Seems like mostly cheaper pots and kitchenware come from that kiln. A lot of their stuff is sold on amazon and rakuten.
amazing thank you so much!

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hi, am wondering if anyone can help? I found an older thread looking for a chop mark and wondered if anyone recognized this one? I bought an odd sized pot on Ebay and it's marked as Japanese but I'm not sure. Any ideas on where this is from and age?Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 5.19.02 AM.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi, am wondering if anyone can help? I found an older thread looking for a chop mark and wondered if anyone recognized this one? I bought an odd sized pot on Ebay and it's marked as Japanese but I'm not sure. Any ideas on where this is from and age?View attachment 394619
上 - upper (high quality)
検 - inspected (in the hexagon)

This is just an inspection stamp.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Makes sense. I didn't know if it was Japanese so I thank you for that. Someone on Reddit translated 'high quality' so I knew it was a production type of chop but didn't know the origin. Thanks so much! Katie

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
上 - upper (high quality)
検 - inspected (in the hexagon)

This is just an inspection stamp.
@Yamabudoudanshi Thank you for your help with that one. Am sorry to ask again...Am feeling sheepish asking you to look at another chop so soon but I found

this and it looks more interesting. Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 11.17.16 PM.png Want to say thank you and am not sure I got this right? arigatou gozaimasu...Katie

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Yamabudoudanshi Thank you for your help with that one. Am sorry to ask again...Am feeling sheepish asking you to look at another chop so soon but I found

this and it looks more interesting. View attachment 394958 Want to say thank you and am not sure I got this right? arigatou gozaimasu...Katie
No worries, names and pot chops are a good challenge.
Looks like 森晃 to me. Could be read Morikou, or Shinkou but also exists as a full name "Mori Akira" - Who is a prominent academic by the look of it. Most results are of him, so not a potter.
Doesn't appear to be a place, but you could sift through this link and see what you find. Mostly just auction links. Many have sold for relatively cheap, so I would assume it's not particularly well known.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks so much! It is a chop on the back of a bonsai pot...so that's a mystery. I wonder if the auction links are for pottery. It's not a special pot, but i wondered. How much have they sold for that you noticed? Thanks so much! Katie

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 11.04.38 PM.pngI've been finding too many...I don't have high hopes for this one but what do you think?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I forgot to ask @Yamabudoudanshi for his help...When/if you get time I'm just curious what this says. The pot above turned out to be very pretty in person. Thank you for your help with it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
View attachment 395930I've been finding too many...I don't have high hopes for this one but what do you think?
I can't make heads or tales of this one. Even upside-down, there isn't a single recognizable character.
Unlikely, but it looks like a monolingual English-speaking 5 year old took their best shot at copying out items from a Chinese newspaper. I've seen some pretty terrible handwriting, but there's nothing even recognizable as Japanese here.

Wish I could be of more help.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I can't make heads or tales of this one. Even upside-down, there isn't a single recognizable character.
Unlikely, but it looks like a monolingual English-speaking 5 year old took their best shot at copying out items from a Chinese newspaper. I've seen some pretty terrible handwriting, but there's nothing even recognizable as Japanese here.

Wish I could be of more help.
That's really interesting. The Japan sticker is what I thought made it look like a production pot but I would have thought the chop would have been an ink stamp and not hand written. Strange. Thank you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom