Pot for oak... ??

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I suppose it's too big (amateur photo paste) but what about the shape?
I was trying to find a more angular pot.

try.jpg

It sure has room for roots.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice tree! Yeah, pot a bit big for that tree right now, but I think it would look good in that pot once it gets a bigger trunk. Keep growing it out in a large nursery can, but bury the can until the drain holes are covered and grow it out until it is ready for that pot?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oak needs big gnarly barky trunk. Another vote for growing out trunk😊. Pot "maybe" in 30 years.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oak needs big gnarly barky trunk. Another vote for growing out trunk😊. Pot "maybe" in 30 years.

Problem is that ....I...don't have another 30 years.
Thanks all for the responses. My ...first... inclination was to use that pot. Figuring it would be big enough to encourage more roots and stuff and ....growth....
I did however have second thoughts on the shape. I think you guys have settled that in that the pot is okay.
I have one other ..choice... but it's ....blue.

I want/need wire holes to anchor that oak.

And....incidentally, the tree IS larget than the insert. I had to use past photo as it is now completely bare. And I had to "estimate" on the desktop how to size the pic of the pot. So it's sorta a conglomeration of pix.

Soooooooooooo..... I think I'll use that pot, do minimal root disturbance and selective pruning to compensate for my lack of longevity and still have the tree in a pot.

:)

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah, a smaller pot would make it look larger, of course. I’ve had no problem with removing well over half of my CA oaks’ roots in the spring and replanting. If it’s a Lobata it would probably sulk and not grow much for the following season.

I agree that you should enjoy this oak now. It looks like many younger ones that we see here that aren’t over one hundred years old.

Top Bottom