Pot from Japan ID please

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Depending on the size of hole you could do just one. If you get 2 sizes of diamond bits, you could put one large drainage hole in the middle, then some wire holes along the outside. They'll help with drainage to.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
might be another diamond bit drill ( smaller size ) then I can try and do 3 holes
Hope it doesn't break 😁

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally always drill just under H2O surface and WITH solid backing of wood behind place drill will emerge☺️. Several smaller holes 1/4=3/8" may be needed. Personally could not fit any bigger drill bit in hand drill.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Drilling was done with a bucket of sand and water . I used a battery drill cause I that what I had and that was the easiest and quickest way to drill the hole .
First hole was easy ( had no problems just took a long time ) second hole was faster ,but the drill skidded and went off-centre ( hence drilled through the foot partly )
Is there a way to centre the drill to drill in the exact position ?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The first pot I drilled a while back I had that problem. I decided to start slow, using very light pressure, to scuff up the spot where I wanted the hole so the bit could get a better bite. Then I gradually increased speed and pressure once the bit had dug in safely.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For sure. Start with a small- like 1/16” or 1.5 mm bit as a pilot. Then size up desired diameter.
It'll still skid. I find a bit of tape over the intended hole can sometimes help. Ideally two hands on the drill, makes a huge difference. Elbows tucked into body (seriously), I've drilled a lot of tiles. Diamond hole cutters are best, started at an angle to bite in.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Diamond hole cutters are best, started at an angle to bite in.
This is actually what I was thinking earlier.
@Pixar are you using regular drill bits, or whole cutter bits? You get much better, cleaner results with less of the skidding around.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It could be 100 different things, but few of them matter now. Just learning for next time.

Top Bottom